Saturday, May 27, 2017

Garden, day 1

I finally got the garden planted. It's been a cool, wet spring, and while there were days earlier that I could have gotten it in, it seemed like it was still a little cool at night.

At least, that's what I told myself. We don't want to chill the poor little darlings, after all.

This morning, I woke up at 2 a.m. wondering when I'd last watered my seedlings. It had been a while, as it turns out. I splashed some water on them and went back to bed. When I got up for real, they looked happier. Since the forecast was dry, at least until tonight, I went forth and planted. I only put out a dozen tomatoes and ten green peppers. I have a few more seedlings to put in pots. Last year we had overcrowding problems. This year I made sure to leave walk-ways so I can get to my harvest without having to pick my way through. I have landscaping rock sitting around doing nothing, and I'm thinking about actually moving some to my paths. I have some silly notion that it will help keep the weeds down.

Next year the plan is to make it bigger. I have a small tree next to my garden that really needed to come out this year, and we didn't get to it. Once that's out of the way, I can double the size. Maybe then I can grow something in addition to tomatoes and peppers.

Here's what we look like the afternoon of day 1:

No comments:

Post a Comment