Sunday, April 23, 2017

Life in all its glory

You must imagine I'm saying that title of this post with a slightly skeptical tone. Perhaps even with the faint wisp of sarcasm. It's been one of those weeks for most of the month and maybe even two months.

This angst is triggered by my ongoing health battles with my heart, diabetes, and IBD. A nasty threesome guaranteed to take the wind out of anyone's sails and even maybe sink their ship so that only a debris whirlpool is left that the gulls circle in hopes of finding some morsel.... Okay, that was a bit much even for me.

The whine wind is strong today. Brace yourselves. You might need to rope together.

Anyway, in terms of creative projects, I'm struggling with Floozy Comes Back. It is difficult to be funny constantly at the best of times, but lately, it's quite a struggle. It may be my health, or it may be the spring doldrums. Some people experience doldrums in winter, some in summer, some in fall, but for me, it's spring. Spring makes me restless. Makes me want to do something physically and mentally exciting. Spring fever, I guess, to use an old cliche.

In other news, I've been investigating magazines that allow online submissions. It's a curious lot. No standards among them--this one wants PDFs, this one wants TXT, this one wants .DOC but not .DOCX and so on. The other thing of note is most of these online submissions don't seem to pay. They want your words--they need your words--but they don't pay. Of course, they're struggling and probably need our support.

Some do pay, and the competition for them is fierce. They almost all recommend you submit to the non-paying magazines first to build your portfolio and gain experience. And some of that urging might be prompted by remembering their early days when they, too, couldn't pay because of their newborn status in the publishing world.

I am also weighing the prospects of publishing a Blackbirds Fourth Flight. Reasons for and reasons against. Budgets, time, material available, etc. No urgency there, but its file is sitting on my desk for me to look through now and again.

Anyway, let's end this ramble. This week, I'm:
- continuing my exercise program.
- writing on Floozy, so help me muse!
- doing my chores.
- getting a presentation ready for the next writers group meeting.

How is your week looking?

No comments:

Post a Comment