Saturday, April 18, 2015

Almost exactly 3 years

Today I cashed my first steady paycheck since March 2012. I checked the calendar, and it appears my last day at The Gathering Place was March 23. Work at the fro-yo shop is going well. There is no rocket science involved. Every part of the job at least relates to something I've done before. The hardest part is being on my feet for 7 hours at a time. The second hardest part is staying focused that long. We don't get formal breaks, and I've become spoiled in the last 3 years. I take coffee and a protein bar, and nibble or sip as needed. It's not ideal, but we don't have a place for a break room, and they don't want us sitting with the customers. They're grooming me for management, so that's fun. I was talking to the boss the other day, and he commented that most of the kids that work there just want popcorn and movie money. I told him that's more or less why I'm working there, but he's got 30 years of work experience in me.

I think the new schedule is going to work nicely. The three days a worked last week, I got up, wrote, and did a few chores before going to work. The days I didn't work, I got around to writing late in the morning. I work 10-5, which is pretty close to ideal at this point, except for the whole being on my feet thing. Too bad the only way to get used to it is to do it. At least I'm getting words in. I worried I might not.

No nibbles on the house. We had one showing right after it went on the market, and then nothing. I'm not worried. Yet. Viewings should be picking up pretty soon. People will start moving to the base next month.

The weather is improving, which isn't hard, considering torrential rain is preferable to snow at this point! Well, maybe not torrential. Not for everyone, anyway.

This week:
- Blog
- Continue work on Phillip's backstory
- Research e-book formatting and marketing
- Buy some hiking socks. My old ones are MIA and thicker socks seem to help at work.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Yay for the paycheck!

Thicker socks should help your stamina. I hope the adjustment comes quickly for you.

Post a Comment