Saturday, April 25, 2015

foggy

I don't know why starting a new job kicks my butt, but it does. Every. Single. Time. I like the job and the people I've worked with, I've already got added responsibilities, and there is virtually no learning curve. That's nice. But I get home from work and have dinner, and then I'm done. Just flat out, drooling in front of the TV, done. I hope to be over that part in a week or two, but I fear it might take longer because I'm 7 years older than the last time I started a job, plus I'm working more hours than I did at the old one. I'm scheduled for 21 hours a week, and at the old place, that was a crazy busy week with multiple parties or a huge event. I'm shocked at how much the weather affects our business. It's been mostly cold and rainy for the last week, so we didn't do much business. Next week doesn't look like it's going to be too much better. I wish I could take my notebook and write when it's not busy, but there are cameras everywhere, so I end up wiping clean counters and stirring yogurt. I'm told we'll be swamped all the time in the summer. I hope so. Road construction on our street isn't helping matters at all, and that's going to be with us at least through this year.

On the bright side, I did get words in this week, and I discovered a few things I didn't know that will help with the story. In fact, I got on a roll the other day, and when I looked up, I had half an hour to get ready to go to work. It wasn't a problem since my commute is about 200 yards, but I was still in my jammies. I don't get dressed for work until it's close to time to go so I don't take cat fur with me.

I signed up for a year-long class today. It meets (online) twice a month and covers everything from writing to self-pubbing to marketing. My friend at church told me about it. The teacher is a friend of hers. I didn't think I'd be able to do it until I scrolled all the way down to the bottom of the page and discovered there's a monthly payment option that I can easily handle with my paycheck. With half of one paycheck, really.

So that's the excitement here. Hope y'all are having a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment