Monday, April 25, 2016

Ephemeral plot bunnies

One of the songs we sang in church yesterday was an old hymn called The Morning Trumpet. Our music director is really good at taking old songs, writing a chorus, and making them sound modern-ish. It's not unusual to sing songs written in the 15th century on any given Sunday. (Have I mentioned our church used to be a Polish Cathedral? The parish sold it to us because the other offer, which was higher, was someone who was going to demolish it and put in apartments.) The Morning Trumpet is newer--the words were written in 1793 and the music in 1844. Paul's new chorus has the following lyrics:

"Shout, Oh glory! For I shall see the Christ on high, when I hear the trumpet sound in that morning."

Of course, we sang it several times during the hymn, and the whole time, Walter was tapping his fingers. I don't know what he's got up his sleeve, but it seems to be something Left Behind-ish, only darker. I have no other details. It's annoying.

I know what it isn't. It's not someone who gets raptured and Heaven doesn't fit the bill. I'll leave those to the unbelievers and the disenfranchised former believers. I can't suspend my reality enough to make that work in my head. OTOH, I don't want to make it overtly religious. I'm thinking closer to C. S. Lewis allegory. Something closer to The Screwtape Letters.

I don't know. I wish Walter would get it together. That's two stories now he's tossing around like a tennis ball; throwing it from hand to hand, bouncing it off the wall sometimes.

I've started going for short walks in an effort to increase stamina and, hopefully, blood flow to my brain. I'm in the worst shape of my life right now, and it's not getting better on its own. Can't imagine why. I've started going around a block or two, twice a day. I'm not concerned with anything except stretching out muscles and not getting winded. I don't even care about my weight right now. That seems to have stabilized. At least, I don't need the rubber band extender for my jeans. I'm more concerned with overall health right now. Having said that, it would be nice to not look revolting in a swimsuit this summer in Vegas. Eric has a hacker convention there, and I'm tagging along to sight-see and write. We only have to pay for my airfare and food. Going back to Vegas wasn't on my bucket list. I've been twice. That seemed like enough. But it will be fun. I won't be at the day job.

2 comments:

Jean said...

I'm sure you've already jotted the ideas down and encouraged Walter to keep working on them.

I hear you on the fitness and stamina level. Mine is abysmal. I get winded way too easily. I was hoping to get this knee done and begin walking during the recovery, increasing my distance naturally as I healed. I may have to begin some low level walking (but I need to keep the pain down in the bad knee to keep it manageable) before hand.

SBB said...

I had to exercise great caution while writing "Tales from Bethlehem" to keep it the right tone. I wanted to make sure that I was in no way disrespectful to the Biblical account, but I needed some room to tell my stories.

As for the other exercise...less said, the better!

Post a Comment