Friday, April 22, 2016

Long time, no see

Somehow, two months have slipped by. It's been pretty much business as usual. Work, chores, wedging in words. I've got the garden going as much as I can for now. My seedlings are growing. I've transplanted some of the tomatoes to larger biodegradable pots, and the herbs are in their home pots on the table. They seem happy but I'll be happier when I can move them outside. It's not quite warm enough yet. We're supposed to hit freezing tonight.

Alex finally found part time work at the grocery store where I do most of my shopping now. He'll be working a few hours a week stocking shelves at night. It's not a lot, not enough, probably, but it's a start and will pay for his gas and such. Maybe he can start pecking away at student loans. I think that bill starts to come due in June.

I've been working more closing shifts at work lately, now that I have another reliable opener. It's a double edge (edged?) sword. On the one hand, it stinks because I don't see much of Eric. We might have fifteen minutes before I get ready for bed to talk, but usually not more because we have to be up early so I can take him to the train, and I need my beauty sleep. On the other hand, I'm working with everyone each week and getting a much better sense of their strengths, weaknesses, and goals, which will be helpful at evaluation time if nothing else. It will help me figure out who I should recommend for promotions and raises, or at least bring to my boss' attention. I'm mostly on nights next week, but I've hired a new guy so when I do the schedule next week I can maybe figure out a way to balance it better.

The house, specifically the basement, is coming together. We had our storage delivered Easter weekend, and the bookshelves have been a big help. For the first time ever, I think, we have all the tools in one place. Mostly, at least. The ones we use a lot are upstairs, but the rest is together. I sorted through pictures the other day and identified some to donate and some to hang. Hopefully I'll get them hung this weekend. Eric is going on a retreat with our church, so I'll have a day of quiet to get things done. I should really make a list.

That's about it. Everything else you know from Hangouts and Facebook. Do we even have readers outside our circle? If we do, I'd better become more interesting in a hurry!

2 comments:

SBB said...

Sounds like you've been busy! I envy your basement. I'd love to have one. Basements are few in this part of the state due the soil. Apparently, the foundations won't handle it.

Yes, oddly enough, we have several people who drop by. They don't comment, and maybe these visitors are all bots or crawlers, but as you can see from our visitor counter, we got guests. Quiet guests, but guests nonetheless.

One thing that social media has done is to fragment the audience, I think. I know I have mostly different audience on my blog than I do on Facebook. Add in Twitter and MeWe and whatever to make it very hard to get a message out to everyone. I know this should allow us to target each audience better, but when the message is the same--"Hey, we have a new book out"--it seems more counter-productive than helpful.

SBB said...

Oh, and I think it's "double-edged" sword. That's how I've always read it.

Post a Comment