Sunday, March 12, 2017

Game on

It's been an interesting few days. Interesting in the Chinese curse sense.

We're under a winter weather warning starting at 1 a.m. tonight. They're saying 3-6" of snow. I'd take 2' at this point. I stopped at the shop after church (they're 2 miles apart), and asked the closer to put up the sign that we're closed due to weather before she leaves. I also got contact info for our interviewees. If it does snow, we're covered, but I figure that should be enough to keep snow away. I hope it doesn't stay away. I didn't think I'd be saying that here in March.

I think I might have to reassess my writing goals. I came home from Deep Thinkers with a writing and marketing plan for the first three Balphrahn books. I sat down and looked at what I have written and decided it was feasible to have the series done this year, and that I needed to aim for 780 words a day. Every day. I did build in a month of time off for illness and/or travel. Also, that's 780 book words. That doesn't include blogs.

Still, it's doable, if everyone cooperates.

They haven't.

Last week, one of my openers sent out a group text that she needed to take care of her grandmother and couldn't open any more starting the next day. She had four open shifts a week. Of my other openers, one has another job, one can only work weekends, and one is in school. That leaves me.

Long story short, the other girls have stepped up and I only have to cover 2 of the extra shifts. If it works out, I'll go back to only doing paperwork on Monday, and have two mid-week shifts. It's not as bad as it could be, or as bad as it has been. I was, however, feeling very put out. I told my boss yesterday I felt like the universe looked over my shoulder at my lofty plans and said, "OK, kid, let's see how bad you want this." And if that's how it wants to play, game on.

As soon as I said it, my whole attitude changed. I shifted from victim to warrior.

It's going to get done. I'm going to move hell and high water to finish it this year. I might have to make adjustments, but even if I miss the mark, I'll still have more done this year than I did last year.

How bad do I want it? Game on.

No comments:

Post a Comment