Sunday, March 19, 2017

It's only been a week?

Heaven help me.

A week ago we were facing Springtime Lake Effect Snowmageddon. Today it's in the high 40s and flirting with 50.

I made my writing goals, but barely. I'm rethinking them a little because the day job is not cooperating. At all.

I may have found another opener, which is great, but he'll have to be trained if I hire him. I'm still a little on the fence. I was acquainted with him before he applied for the job. I'll say he's sheltered and leave it at that. I'm pretty sure he's not Mr. Right, but he might be Mr. Right Now. And truthfully, the kid needs a break. But the last time I gave someone a break, I got burned. The last guy made it two weeks before I fired him.

I think this week will be doable with last week's goals, probably. I'm working 2 days this week, plus the paperwork run tomorrow, which isn't a big deal. The following two weeks might be a different story. One of my remaining openers is going on vacation. She'll be gone 2 1/2 weeks. That's going to give me 4 shifts a week.

I keep telling myself it's only 20 hours. I've been working about 6 hours a week all winter. Not only that, but I haven't worked full time since 1998. Twenty hours feels like a lot, especially since I'll have 1 1/2 - 2 hours per day commuting. By the time I come home, I don't want to do anything, especially writing.

I have alternatives. I can write before I go to work. Even if I don't get all my words in, it's something. Or, if it's slow, I can write at work. I just have to take my iPad, keyboard and mouse. If it's not slow at work, well, I'm sort of out of luck.

Just thinking about it all is making my heart palpitate. Or maybe I've had too much coffee. That could be it.

Here's another little twist. Every room in my house needs cleaning. *sigh* Going minimalist sounds so appealing, but where would I start?


No comments:

Post a Comment