Sunday, October 6, 2013

Interesting times ... so they say

It's been an interesting week. And I mean "interesting" in the sense of the ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times." Let's see ... where to start ...

Well, of course, the heart health journey continues. Got to visit the ER again. Whee. But once again, they adjusted my meds, and my heart rate has been more stable since they did so. My cardiologist told me that sometimes it takes "a year or two" to get it right. If I had felt better, I would have leaped from the bed and attempted to feed her a bedpan. But I didn't, so she escaped safely. I'm told to have patience. Patience is not one of my many virtues. But I'm sure I'm growing as a person. I hate that.

 Also, the bills continue to come in. I have worked out a payment plan with two of the creditors; the hospital is still giving me trouble. But I only have so much money. I am going to pay them, but not as fast as they want. They have threatened me with liens, credit problems, etc. I cannot do any more than I can do. A friend who is an attorney told me that the hospital can huff and puff, but they can't make me sell my home or cash out my tiny cash-value life insurance policy or make me tap my even tinier IRA. All they can do is hassle me. So be it. I will continue to pay them what I can. The sooner they accept that, the better for both of us.

I have tried to do more chores around the house. I'm not keeping up, but at least I've been able to keep things picked up and the dishes done, for the most part. I remain tired all the time, but it seems to be getting better. I'm hopeful.

I signed up for Jean's newsletter and am looking forward to it. I've thought about starting a newsletter for my humor, but don't feel up to it, and besides, I'm just jealous that Jean is doing it. I'm sure it's more work than fun. And I am a fun-loving guy. I guess. Maybe someday.

 Speaking of Jean, and I was, she let me read her short story "Beginnings." It was charming and sweet. She does a great job in showing the children's personalities and characters. Woman has talent. She should write more. Someone nag her. I can't right now, but someone should.

Only one of my clients hasn't cancelled her contract with me. All the others wanted their books out faster than I'm able. Ouch. I'm hoping I will get better in time to get a couple of them back. The book for the client who has stayed with me should be published in November, I hope. It's a book of powerful and moving poetry. Can't wait for it to come out.

Tales from Bethlehem finally is on Amazon! That was good news. I also set up a PayPal link on my blog where people can buy a signed copy directly from me. So far, no one has. Not true. A friend did so I could make sure it works.

And several people whom I asked to review Tales from Bethlehem and Murder by the Acre (Second Edition) on Amazon did so. That was awesome!

And I also -- finally -- put out a family newsletter again. I was very proud of myself. I hope to do another one this week.

Speaking of this week, I hope:
- That I put out another family newsletter.
- That I don't visit the ER.
- That I am able to vacuum my house and keep up with the chores.
- That I work on the poetry book. I'm waiting for her to email me three more poems, book notes, and her bio.
- That I'm able to get 1,000 words on the Murder by the Mile rewrite. But I would be happy with 500 words. Any words.
- That I'm able to write another poem for Undying. I had hoped to put out this book of fantasy and science fiction poems this month. Maybe next year.
- That I can attend the writers group meeting Saturday.

So that's last week and now this week. Hope your week is awesome. I'm cheering for you!

3 comments:

Jean said...

Stephen, I'm so sorry your medication still isn't calibrated. I'm so thankful you made time to give Beginnings a read this week and make a few comments. I'll make those fixes -- I need to find the non-PDF form, so I can.

Wendy said...

If you're praying for patience, stop it right now! I prayed for patience once, and God said, "OK! Homeschool!"

SBB said...

Jean, I think I can convert the PDF you sent me into a doc if you can't find your original. Just let me know.

Wendy, no, I'm not praying for patience. :)

Post a Comment