Sunday, October 27, 2013

Scotch on the rocks

Actually, it's whiskey--Crown Royal Maple. Just what the doctor ordered after a long weekend. The retreat was good. I learned more than I expected, and I was able to help a couple baby writers. To say I was in my element might be a bit of an understatement. I got a new plot started, so I'll work on that for NaNo prep. In case you missed it on Facebook, I finished the draft of Building Truth Wednesday, just in the nick of time!

The only downside was that the inn's heat wasn't working right and our classroom was cold. Our guest rooms had gas fireplaces so they were nice and toasty. It really was a lovely venue, and the village had 2 indy bookstores. I found The Cattle Raid of Cooley (big Irish hero saga) in one volume in both English and Gaelic. It won't mean much to y'all, but I almost cried on the spot! I have bits of that story in a couple different books, but to have it all in one place is great.

Beyond that, I got words and packing (for the move) done before I left. Of course there's a lot left to go, but I have a few months to get all that done. I also told stories at the nursing home Wednesday, and I have another gig next Saturday. It will be Sunday before I go upstate again. I need time to pack, and the furries need mommy time before I disappear again. They do seem less stressed when I have someone come in to check on them, so I'll keep doing that. I have young friends who work cheap.

This week will be divided between plotting and packing. Oh, and laundry. And, since I've just checked my calendar, starting NaNo on Friday.

2 comments:

Tammy Jones said...

Sounds like an awesome retreat and things are pretty great out your way. YAY!!! Congrats on the good time, the start of packing, all of it! SUPEROMGDUPERCONGRATS on the book!! Whoop!!

Jean said...

So glad you had such an awesome retreat! I think I liked your news on FB, but I'll reiterate my congratulations here for finishing Building Truth.

As for finding a book like The Cattle Raid of Cooley? What a find! I can only imagine what a treat that was.

Yes. NaNo. I am completely freaked out about that. I'm trying something I've never done before -- 100 pieces of flash -- and I'm pretty nervous. I'm not well-prepped either.

Post a Comment