Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Quick update

Disclaimer: I'm posting from my iPad. Please excuse typos.

Mom and I have been downstate since Monday getting the house ready. Vicky and Emma (Alex's girlfriend) were here cleaning yesterday, and it's a good thing because I was sick. The short version is be careful when you dump juice from a package of cut fruit into a smoothie. Take extra care to be sure there's not a stray silica pack in there because if you drink it, it will tear you up. I promise.

Anyhow, the gals got a ton of cleaning done yesterday, and since I was feeling a little more human by dinner time I took them out to dinner. They earned it and more. Mom, Emma and I finished it off today, and the first realtor seemed to think we could get a quick sale and good price. She had suggestions about staging and didn't tell me I HAD to paint but suggested we neutralize the office if nothing else.

Tomorrow, the second one comes, and then MOM and I are going back to Chicago for a few days. I have a friend coming to visit--it's been planned for a couple months--and will allow us to get a breakaway and gather supplies. We will be back part of next week to touch up paint and pack stuff going to storage. I plan to make at least one Good Will run and need to figure out where to donate appliances and large furniture. Salvation Army doesn't pick up here, and the one our old church sponsors doesn't take what I have.

Needless to say, the only writing related things I've been able to do are read the new stories going into Blackbirds. Honestly, writing this post feels great. It's been so chaotic it's nice to be alone with the fireplace for a while.

So that's where we are. I keep reminding myself this is a season, and the sooner I get done what I need to, the sooner I can get on with life. It's hard, but having mom here has helped a lot. She's such a trooper and the girls were a godsend. Are. They are a godsend. This house has never been this clean! I'll post pics later.

Hope y'all are staying warm and dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment