Saturday, March 7, 2015

Preparation

A little over a week until we embark on Grand Tour 2015. We're excited. We're almost packed. We're trying to make sure we take care of everything before we leave.

I scheduled my blog posts for the month. I have two A-Z Challenge posts to finish, but the events I'm posting about haven't happened yet. I can put together a draft, but I won't be able to finalize it until later this month. I've requested a guest poster for my second Tech Stuff post this month, and if the poster decides he doesn't want to participate, I'll have to come up with something. Maybe the Apple Watch? It's supposed to be revealed on March 9th, but I'm not particularly interested in it.

The VA rep gave me a much simpler form to complete and even gave me the verbiage to use for my temporary 100% disability request paperwork. I need to know what my recovery time is expected to be from my doctor, and I can submit the paperwork. I'll do that on April 10th.

I tried out the lift chair recliner I wanted at the medical supply place, and it's ideal. Since it's in stock, we'll pick it up when we return from the Grand Tour. We're hoping it sells between now and then. If it does, we'll order one in Cabernet (think red wine color) instead of the Palomino (medium brown) of the showroom model. Also, we'd love to get it in the original packaging instead of a floor model. We're trying to negotiate a lower price. We got him to knock $60 off for us picking it up (that really should be $120, because it would take his guys two hours to drive over, deliver it, and drive back -- we're still working on that), and we haven't brought up the floor sample argument and the cash discount argument yet. I think he'd given us as much discount as he could do without getting his boss involved, so we'll revisit when we go back in April. If we have to order a new chair, we'll be more flexible on the price. On the other hand, maybe I should just order one on line for $1099 and pay no shipping and no sales tax and be done with it. Mr. L has devised a method for getting it into the house, so delivery isn't an issue. (Fully recline it, turn it sideways on the piano dolly, and roll it in.)

Mr. L has inventoried the luggage to make it easier to find anything we're looking for on the trip. This will work well until after the first stop. Grin. He's so funny.

HVAC. Ugh. After multiple trips, they finally have a work around in place for the front upstairs unit. We plan to replace both upstairs units in April or May, but until then, they need to work. The downstairs heat pump blew a fan blade this week (boy did THAT sound terrible from right behind my chair in the parlor!). Thankfully, they had one in their shop boneyard they installed in a matter of minutes.

Most of you have probably heard about the BBs to the shop window episode. This is going to be an expensive year. The reason that window hasn't been replaced before has to do with changes in safety laws from when the building was built until now (That side to side and top to bottom break in the glass was there when we bought the building). To put plate glass in that window, it has to be at least 18" above the ground, and that window is about a foot or less off the ground. We'll have to raise the bottom of the window. Mr. L wants to use glass brick to do this, but he has to check with the glass people to ensure this meets safety regulations. I hope it does, because I love glass brick.

The Week Ahead:
  • Finalize tax forms, write the check, and mail it in.
  • Finalize Wildlife Management Report and turn it in.
  • Call HVAC guy - he wants to check a few things so he can prepare an estimate for us
  • Do some yard work
  • Keep working on Polar Bear on the Loose
  • Keep doing my physical therapy exercises to strengthen my legs. I need to remember to do the upper body stuff, too.
  • Set up the game camera at the ranch and refill the deer feeder.
  • Fill the outside cat food tower next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment