Saturday, June 18, 2016

Countdown Extended

As you know, the knee replacement count down got extended due to a scratch on the knee, complicated by a mild bout of poison ivy around my eye. The poison ivy was dealt with and wouldn't have been a problem, but coupled with the light scratch on my knee, my surgeon erred toward caution (an infected implant is a VERY BAD THING) and scrubbed surgery on the 14th.

Our current plan is to go forward with surgery on the 21st, same time, same bat channel. I believe all puncture wounds will be healed by that time, the scratch is clearing, and the poison ivy is nearly gone. I think I'll be on much better footing on the 21st, so I'm thankful I have a wise and cautious surgeon.

I'm puttering around the house, paying close attention to things that might "bite" me. I have a plan for revising GEEKS. I'm not sure how soon after surgery I'll be able to begin working on it, but I'm ready to go.

Walter is being a delightful cat. Fluffy Gray is hanging around, but she scoots whenever we come outside -- except for Mr. L's sighting of her on the porch behind him when he was feeding Walter on the steps. That was a surprise, but she scooted as soon as she was discovered and didn't return for a while. In more troubling news, I was able to entice Boomer to a can of Fancy Feast yesterday, but he's clearly a very sick kitty. He must be in a lot of pain, but I'm unlikely to be able to capture or trap him soon, so he's on his own for now. I doubt he has an illness a simple vet visit would fix, but I could get him tested for FIV and put out of his misery if that's his situation. If I could catch him. Sigh. I feel terrible for him.

Sneaky soaks up the attention when I sit in my recliner. She's going to boarding for at least the first week of my surgery, but I'll be happy to have her back home. I think she'll be a cuddly recovery cat. Sapphire and Rossie are also going to boarding. All three of them are miserable there, so I'll try to get them home as quickly as possible. Sapphire, like Lady, strongly dislikes the male vet tech (he's a good tech, so I'm not sure what's up with that).

The other six will remain at home, and, in theory. Mr. L will take care of their litter boxes. I'm not holding my breath. I anticipate I'll come home from the hospital to a sink full of dishes, litter boxes badly in need of scooping, and a terribly spattered stove. Thankfully, all those things will take about 20 minutes each to resolve, so I'll plan that in over the first two days in short spurts. Luckily, I can slowly rinse and load the dishwasher a few dishes at a time. Same with scooping litter boxes. The stove, I can delay a day or two, but it can also be broken down over a several sessions if necessary. (Note, the suggested time to resume doing these things is after at least three weeks of recovery, but I'd rather do that than hear the groans of agony if I ask a certain someone to do them.) But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. It could happen.

Have a great week, y'all.

1 comment:

SBB said...

I hope you don't come home to that. I hope you're surprised.

Looking forward to the revisions of GEEKS. I really like that title, by the way. Seems to fit with the story I read.

You will be in my prayers during the surgery, but this is going to go great. You will be walking in marathons next!

Post a Comment