Friday, June 17, 2016

Peaceful, for a minute.

It's a peaceful summer morning here in Chicago. I've got my coffee, birds are chirping outside my window, there's the occasional alley honker, but no sirens yet today.

This afternoon we set up for the Chicago Scots Highland Games, and we'll be out there all day tomorrow. That's always fun. A lot of work, but fun.

We've had another staff change at the day job. One of my openers, who sometimes closes, texted me Wednesday and said she'd moved further west in the 'burbs, so she couldn't work past 8 p.m. since the buses stop at 9. Me and my big mouth, I suggested she talk to our district manager because we have a location a lot closer to where she lives now, and they're desperately in need of good people there. Things usually move glacially in our company, so I didn't think anything more about it. She called me yesterday and said the DM asked her to tell me not to put her on my schedule for next week so she could train at the other location (which does pizza, sandwiches, and salads in addition to frozen yogurt). Her last day with us is tomorrow. Just like that, I'm another person down.

It's not as bad as it sounds. I still have my two college students for two more months. I'll give them each a couple extra shifts a week so I'm not working too many hours. Next week I'll start calling people for interviews. I can take my time and find someone who will last a while. It's a minor hiccup for me, but it's going to be much better for my former co-worker. My only concern is that I'm at the minimum for staffing, so if someone gets sick or quits suddenly, I could be in a bit of a bind like I was last year. But I still have some of the ones I hired in that dark time so I must know how to do it right. The food industry has a lot of turn-over anyway.

In other news, my garden is still alive and one tomato plant has a flower. I have the front porch flowers planted, and my herbs are happy on the front porch banister. My rain barrels are about half full, which is better than I expected considering they're not fed by a downspout this year. They're beside the garage, so they get some run-off, but it's trick to position them so they get maximum run-off without sheltering them under the eave too much. I'm going to lobby for a section of gutter on that side of the garage so they'll be full all summer. Maybe I'll attach rain chains instead of a downspout.

Have I mentioned lately how glad I am to be out of the city?

3 comments:

Jean said...

Despite the hassle of having to hire someone else and being undermanned, you did the right thing for your employee.

Glad to hear the garden is going well. I hope you have good fun at the Games.

(And the Opera iteration of this won't take comments, so this is a paraphrase of what I said the first time. Sigh.)

SBB said...

Someday I'd like to have a garden. And live outside my small town.

SBB said...

Jean, Opera worked for me in posting my comment.

Post a Comment