Sunday, August 26, 2012

Wendy's Week(s)

How'd I manage to miss a week? I'll blame it on conference hangover. The most important conference bits are on Facebook, so we'll just let that stand on its own.

Good Stuff:
- The book is finished and printed. The first read-through is nearly complete. Overall it's in better shape than I expected. Doing the chapter summary before the synopsis helped a lot with that.
- Focus is shifting to the rendezvous. I've started daily lists of things to do to get ready for that.
- I may get to meet with my bard mentor this week in a non-Games setting, which will be weird because I've never seen him wearing pants before.
- Story research is about to kick into high gear. The Scottish Games is the weekend after the rendezvous, and I'm telling Bodicea again. I wanted to tell Queen Maeve of Connaught, too, but she is proving to be elusive. Long story.
- I've started running. That's a long story, too. I'm taking it very slowly with interval training, and so far it hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. Once I got the knack of breathing it got much easier. At the very least, it's not as scary as I remember it being.

Not So Good Stuff:
- Balancing all the facets of life is still a challenge. It's getting easier to make better use of time. Switching focus is my current trouble area, but multiple important projects is apparently good training. Between editing and rendezvous prep, plus a short trip to MI to see the parents, there's a lot going on around here.
- Alex took the dining room table and chairs to school with him (he's renting a house with 2 guys this year), so we used the open space to put together the rendezvous bed Eric and the Boys made to make sure the dimensions are right and it will hold our combined weight. It will, easily, although we need to get some plywood for added support because the futon is a little mushy with only 2x4 slats. It's a work in progress, and the futon is currently dominating the dining room floor. The cats like it, but it's in my way.

This Week:
- Lots of sewing to do, but first clear the kitchen table because the dining room table is gone.
- Move the futon. Yeah, that'll be fun.
- Stain the pieces of our rendezvous bed.
- Keep the brussels sprouts starts alive. Pick tomatoes again.
- Inventory camp gear.
- Finish the edit.

3 comments:

Jean said...

In our house, if the cats like it, we're golden.

When I had legs that worked, once I got the hang of breathing, the running was relatively easy. Glad to hear it's working out that way for you, too.

One technique I used when I found myself getting distracted (like thinking about work when I was sitting in class at night) was to catch myself doing it, and think, "Focus" several times to bring me back to the task at hand. Some attempts at multi-tasking are fun and can work, but when you're not concentrating in the moment, it means you spend more time at the wrong times trying to do things you should have been doing when you should have been doing them. Focus. I trained my brain to use that term to bring me back on task (you may use any term you find works for you), and it worked pretty well for me back when my life was incredibly hectic.

SBB said...

"...which will be weird because I've never seen him wearing pants before." This made me laugh. :)

Focus has been my problem, too. To produce a book requires so many steps! I have to keep track of the trees and not lose sight of the forest, too. I'm sure it will get easier.

Jean said...

Snicker. I was trying not to be juvenile about that comment, but since you went there...:)

Post a Comment