Saturday, July 5, 2014

American Storm

A lot of unsettling things seem to be going on for a lot of people, both on the personal and the outside the personal realm areas of lives.  I'm strongly tempted to withdraw from interaction for a while.  If this happens, don't worry.  I'm fine.  I should be making scheduled blog posts, but I, too, feel irritated by a lot of what I'm seeing on social media, and reading that Facebook has intentionally manipulated posts in the past to achieve that irritation in members, annoys me to no end.  I'm trying to think if there is any other way to easily interact with family (who don't appear to use other means of social media), but I keep drawing a blank.  I'd really like easily alterable ways of filtering my feed, but I haven't found them yet.  I may have to explore a little, because I do believe it's possible.

It's been an up and down week for a variety of reasons, mostly personal.  Got some stuff done in San Antonio.  Enjoyed the annual Fourth of July gathering with musician friends of Mr. L's.  It's a family gathering for them, but they invite a few friends, and we've been included for the last I don't know how many years. 

I bought a deer feeder this week.  We'll set it up at the ranch and use the game camera to record who comes to eat (I anticipate deer, feral hogs, squirrels, raccoons, and skunks).  This will give us an idea of what kinds of critters are hanging out at the ranch and some numbers to go with them.  This should help me refine my wildlife management plan, but the refinement is going to be to cast a wide net and make the environment desirable for as many critters as possible.  Mr. L seems to think I can't figure out how to do this, so he wants me to wait until he gets back to town to set it up.  I could handle it, I'm certain, but I don't want to take the grief if anything goes wrong, so, fine.  He'll have one more task on his never-ending to do list.  I'm easy that way.

This week saw progress on Kitty City, Episode One, and How to Write A Series Expansion work.  I have made no progress on Polar Bear on the Loose.  This alternating weeks is better than not working at all, but it isn't my goal.

I have the current draft of Blackbirds, and I plan to look for my old poetry this week, but I'm not sure where it is, so I have no idea if I'll find it or not. Then, once I find it, I don't know if it's suitable for the anthology or not -- it's very likely it isn't.  I just don't remember.  It's been nearly thirty years since I wrote it.

We have a mourning dove nesting on a fence post in the back yard in San Antonio.  Mr. L told me this afternoon the chicks have hatched.  Pretty cool.

I've had an adjustable lap desk and matching mouse pad in my Amazon cart for quite a while.  Mr. L has been concerned about how much time I spend sitting, and I have to admit I have trouble standing up after sitting for awhile.  This can't be good.  I've heard a lot of discussion about standing desks.  I put the order through, and I'm going to try using this on my roll top desk to convert it to a standing desk.  With the adjustability, I should be able to set it up at a proper height to see if it helps, and it should be easy to move aside when I want to sit down.

I have ambitious plans for The Week Ahead:
  • Pack three pair of shoes to send to my sister in case they'll fit one of her kids (one pair is brand new in the box, but I didn't realize my feet changed size again until it was too late to return them)
  • Read Blackbirds and discuss with Stephen.
  • Work on Lesson 19 of HTRYN and PBOTL
  • Write Kitty City, Episode One, and come up with a name for it (hope to get about half done this week)
  • Mow and trim as needed
  • Spruce up downstairs bathroom
  • Spruce up entry hall
  • Clean kitchen floor (this is a never ending battle)
  • Clear off kitchen counters (they'll stay clear until Mr. L returns)
  • Vacuum
  • Recycle newspapers
  • Shred
  • File paperwork
  • Find some things Mr. L wants me to bring back to San Antonio with me
  • Write review of Valerie's Majai's Fury and another book I have from Library Thing's Early Reviewer program.
  • Find old poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment