Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Knock on Wood

Usual ups and downs, but I've been pleased with how I balanced writing and life over the last two weeks.  I'm not going to meet my goal of finishing Episode 1 of Kitty City this month.  I have 6,000 words towards the 30,000 goal for the episode.  I'm making good progress on Polar Bear on the Loose, and Cat Gerlach, completely out of the blue, sent me a possible cover -- it's awesome.  And I'm continuing work on 129 Amselstrasse, trying to get it to a publishable point.  Thank you, Stephen, for your invaluable assistance.

Mr. L wants me to give him attention, and he's been pretty adamant about it.  It's not a completely unreasonable request, but I'm still not happy about it.  I have to continue to navigate the path between the electronic work that calls me and the human who wishes to spend undivided time with me. 

The Gentle Yoga class has been good.  The teacher has this machine that supposedly reads anti-oxidant levels from your skin.  Healthy is supposed to be in the 75,000 range. My reading came back at 19,000.  The goal, of course, besides having a healthy reading, is to sell vitamin supplements.  I'm leery of this.  A high school friend had been selling this a couple years ago, and I hadn't heard much from her recently about this product, so I asked her.  She believes the product is no better or worse than what can be purchased at GNC.  I am toying with the idea of trying some of Stephen's shakes or smoothies.  I don't have anything as fancy as Stephen's Nutribullet, but my step daughter gave us something similar about ten years ago, and I haven't found a use for it yet.  I keep thinking I should try it.  Have you tried ice to get a more shake-like or Icee-like consistency, Stephen?

Mr. L finished his project on the front of the house -- replacing drip rail and the bottom board of siding and painting to the bottom of the windows.  It looks good -- as all his work does.  He is more and more easily exhausted from work that used to be easy for him.  I know this contributes to his nearly constant angry state of being these days, but I don't seem to be able to discuss it directly with him nor find a way to alleviate his anxiety.  I told him the other day he should be nicer to himself, because he deserves it, but he won't.  He must have a powerful internal negative monologue.  I've heard a little of it, and it makes me sad for him.  He's such a gifted person, but someone drilled into him at a young age that he was an idiot, and that's what he's fighting (my impression -- I could be totally wrong).  Sure, he produces wonderfully skilled work as a result to prove whomever (clearly long dead) wrong, but at what cost to himself?

The Week Ahead:
  • Continue work on Kitty City, PBOTL, and 129 Amselstrasse
  • Get trees trimmed back from the roof of the house
  • Get grass planted and watered in; mow lawn
  • Go to yoga class
  • Get cats (and me) safely back to Central TX

2 comments:

SBB said...

Frozen bananas and berries add a nice shake touch to my NutriBullet NurtiBlasts! :) But it's very focused on nutrition and not on the whole smoothie/frozen drink idea that other blenders push.

Sorry about Mr. L. Does he have other friends that can share the burden with you?

Wendy said...

It's great that you've had some good writing. I just read 129 Amselstrasse and really liked it. You've got good creepiness in there.

I'm sorry you have to live with an angry person. He sounds so much like my dad, whom I love but could not live with. It's bad when you can't even break the ice. Does he realize he's taking it out on you?

Stephen, I would love it if you would throw some recipes in a post. I'd like to try some, too, even though my little blender probably won't handle hard veggies like carrots very well.

Post a Comment