Sunday, January 10, 2016

Tail end Charlie

It seems I'm the last to post this year. I looked back and realized it's been 2 months, but it would have been the same old litany: Company coming, working, not writing, overwhelmed. That seems to have been my word for 2015. Like all of you, I'm glad to see the end of that year. It wasn't all bad, certainly. There was a lot of growth.

I'm not sure what to think about 2016. The last two years have been so chaotic I'm afraid to wonder. Surely things will settle down long enough to get into a rut at some point, won't it? I'm beginning to think not even as I hope so.

I am looking forward to writing more this year, and I'm already planning what I'm going to plant in the back yard. I'm going to plant asparagus for sure, just as soon as I can. I won't get a harvest this year, but I could have planted it at the last house, and I didn't, and I'm still kicking myself. I'm also looking forward to having one house again, with all my junk in it. Well, the junk I'm keeping. I expect I'll have to store some things for the kids off-site. I think I'm going to have Vicky find something on her side of the river for her things. The people who own the place where we're storing now are as nice as they can be, but the facility isn't great. I think the roof is leaking, and I've got books and pictures in there. It's served the purpose, and it's almost over, thank goodness.

We leave for Florida in three days. Eric finally has vacation time, so he's going with me this year, and we're going to camp beside Dad and Linda instead of me camping with them. My house is a wreck with gear everywhere, but it will go out to the van tomorrow, probably. We had to reconstruct part of our camp bed, but that's squared away after two trips to Home Depot. It's such a bother not to have everything in one place. I left some tent poles in storage that we need, but Dad said they weren't that good anyway, so we'll make new ones when we get there. He's forgotten important things in the past, so this is no big deal to him. It's going to be fun. Maybe I'll get to tell some stories, but frankly, if I only tell them to Dad and Linda, that will be fine. It will be good to unplug for a while, read a book, visit with family and friends. There's always shopping down there. Try not to miss me too much while I'm away. We are shooting for being back the 25th.

2 comments:

SBB said...

It has been a busy two years for you! Moves, changes, two anthologies, etc. Your plate has been full and falling off the sides onto the table. Time for things to go better.

Enjoy the time in Florida. It's below freezing here. I would be jealous except I'm glad you're getting to enjoy warmer weather. Hope the sun shines every day you're there!

Jean said...

Safe travels and have fun.

Post a Comment