Sunday, January 18, 2015

It's Warm, But I'm Still Cold

Our Arctic Blast is gone for now. We're supposed to have highs in the 50s and 60s this week with overnight lows from the mid-30s to mid-40s.  Overall, nice weather. It just means the house still feels colder than outside even though indoor temperatures range from the high 60s to 70s.

I got the first gas bill after the meter was repaired. Yes, it's working. After over a year of minimum billing, this month was in the low 80s, which seems normal given we were using heat. My conscience rests easy even if my bank account does not.

I can't tell if my weight loss goals are on track or not, but for the last three days, I've finally gotten my eating into some semblance of order. I'm working smoothies for the breakfast and lunch window. I am still fighting the afternoon and late evening snacking bugaboos. I have noticed if I can manage the afternoon snacking, the evening snacking is easier to hold at bay.  I attribute this to two things.  First, I know late evening snacking is related to being tired, so if I just go to bed when I feel munchies, that's a plus, but when I've snacked in the afternoon and blown my calorie count, I'm more inclined to participate in despair thinking in the evening and think, "I've already blown it, what's a little more." We all know this is silliness, but I think it's well known that our mind can convince us of the dumbest things. Let's just say, I feel good about the last three days, and I'll work day-by-day from here.

I decided to increase my recumbent bike riding time from 20 minutes at level one (what I do to keep the knees as loose as possible) to thirty minutes, and I'm increasing the level of effort during the middle ten minutes to get more cardio work done. So far, it's working well.

Polar Bear on the Loose is going to take significant work to get ready for the public, and I'm still not sure I can meet my goal of publishing by August 4. Because of this, I'm pausing work on Geeks for the foreseeable future unless I just want to work on something else for awhile.

My January decluttering goal is right on target.  I've completed my glass inventory. I seem to still be missing a box somewhere. I'll have to check to see what I left at the store. Maybe there's more there. I had a partial inventory, and approximately 25 items did not appear in the boxes I just inventoried and photographed. The next phase is to evaluate what I want to keep and what I want to sell.  I do not need, for instance, three of these:

I don't even like fluted bowls, compotes, etc. Once I determine what I want to sell, I'll need to go through everything and separate the sell items from the keep items. I should be able to finish that by the end of the month. One huge decluttering task will be done (I've been putting it off for at least four years).

Praying and meditating is mostly going well. I was trying the You Version Bible app, but it keeps emailing me even after I've told it not to, which means, I'll probably be deleting my account there soon. I have two Meditation apps. I prefer the Mindfully Me app.  I'm not sure what value I'm getting from meditating. I can clear my mind for ten minutes, but it seems the value eventually comes from the things that enter my mind while I'm trying to keep it clear?  I don't know. I'm using a Prayer Prompter app, but the pre-programmed prayer part doesn't seem very prayer-like, and the part I can customize is kind of clunky.  I'm still looking for tools to enhance my goals in these areas. I hesitate to pay for an app that I don't know if I'll like, and there are a lot of paid apps out there. The free ones  I've found are mediocre.

I've completely blown off the FM site upgrade for now.  Too many other things are occupying my mind. Finances are on track.

The Week Ahead:
  • Work on Polar Bear on the Loose
  • Finalize "Intelligent Surrender" (or whatever it winds up being called)
  • Go though Wildlife Management Report and get it closer to final version
  • Continue looking for apps that work better for achieving my prayer and meditation goals
  • Determine what glass to sell and begin separating it from that which I want to keep
  • Ride the recumbent bike
  • While the weather is nice, begin winter yard work
  • More smoothies!
  • More GIMP class (this class isn't that long; I'm just that slow)





No comments:

Post a Comment