Sunday, January 25, 2015

You Gotta Have Friends

Can't leave Jean here alone, so thought I would share a bit. Of course, the big news is that I'm no longer the president of the local writers group. The changeover will be talking place this week as I email items to the new president, but mostly it's finished. I had worried about how I would feel after my resignation was official -- and I do have regrets because I enjoyed my time as president -- but the relief and sense of freedom is much stronger. I wish them well, and I remain a member, but their future is their own as is mine.

Really, I'm going to give God the credit for handling this. I was nervous and upset Friday night to the point I only got a couple hours of sleep. Saturday morning I got up and seriously considered sending in a resignation letter and hiding out until the furor died. But I prayed and felt like I should read The 23rd Psalm. Y'all know it, but here it is:

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

I took much comfort from it and carried that feeling to the meeting, which went well other than one person who chose to be hateful rather than kind, but it was a small moment and it didn't touch me. Everyone else said many good things about me and even tried to talk me into staying. It was good for my ego, but I knew I was doing what was best. And I walked out feeling so much better.

I went to lunch with friends, not a celebration as such, but it felt somewhat celebratory. They were happy to see me happier. Then I came home, made some phone calls, texted a few people, worked on a short story, played World of Warcraft, did laundry, cleaned house, ate dinner, watched a movie, and went to bed and slept soundly. A good end to the day.

Today I went to church and am making lunch now. I'm typing this while the microwave hums and the stove cooks.

Here are my plans for this week:
1. Work on "The Convicted." Jean pointed how short the final battle was. Makes sense there would be more. So going to add a page of action.
2. Get the president stuff sent to the new president.
3. Work with another writer on his story. I'm hoping we can Skype him in with Wendy and Jean this week, but of course, depends on everyone's schedule.
4. Housework. I've let it slip. Time to catch up.
5. And the other chores.

Hope you have a great week!

2 comments:

Jean said...

I feel so much better with company! *putters happily around the blog*

The 23rd Psalm is wonderfully comforting and calming. Good choice. I'm glad most people chose to be supportive.

Unless it's Monday, I won't be available to Skype until Saturday this week.

I'm still feeling like I have far too much to do and not enough time or knowledge to do it. To a certain extent, I think this is common, so I try not to worry about it too much.

Ah, yes. Housework. I, too, am behind on a plethora of little things that add up in bad ways.

Wendy said...

Housework is so much easier with electricity and running water. Good thing I could bring my laundry home with me!

Post a Comment