Monday, May 28, 2012

Wendy's week

I'm coming back down now. My mind is clearing a bit and I think I'm getting close to ready to get back to work. Good grief, last week was a long week. We saw 6 houses, 2 churches, the topiary garden and part of Martha's Vineyard. I learned two important lessons on this trip:

1. Take my own pictures. I took a lot of them, but it seemed redundant for Mom and me to take the same picture since we were going to share. Unfortunately, when Mom put the pictures on my thumb drive, all the folders had the same pictures in them--all from the drive through New York and Connecticut. I haven't had the heart to tell her yet.

2. When looking for a hotel, use the Holiday Inn Express phone app and call to make a reservation. Ask for the military discount.

The good news is I had ideas for two more stories while we were there, so I may get three books from one research trip. I'd call that a good value for the money. The other good news is that, despite my best efforts, I only gained three pounds. All the walking we did must have helped because it's tough to eat well with no access to a kitchen. I also have a new favorite tree--the weeping beech. The branch span is up to 85 feet, and the lower branches grow down and root into the ground to better support the tree. Of course, they're too big for my small yard, but maybe someday I'll have the acreage to support one. A copper beech would be cool, too.

This week:
- Write.
- Get back into the routine.
- Weed the garden beds.
- Get in touch with the guy in charge of the rendezvous in Dayton in September to see if there will be a minister camped there. It happens to be just before our 25th anniversary, and we were thinking about renewing our vows there.
- Line up the rest of the volunteers for the Scottish Games.

1 comment:

Tammy Jones said...

Other than the pics, it all sounds great, Wendy! Glad you had a good time! {{huggs}}

Post a Comment