Sunday, July 15, 2012

Good and bad and plans

Last week was filled with both good and bad.

Good included:
- The first book I'm publishing through Many Rivers Harbor was sent to the publisher Friday night. We should have a proof by the first of next week (July 23-25). After that is proofed and resubmitted, the book should be out the first week of August. I hope. The book looks good -- which is my primary responsibility. I really like the cover and the interior design. Whether or not it will sell for her, I have no idea. I will be doing a bit of promotion for her, but she purchased the basic package, which doesn't include a lot of extras. She also paid the other half Friday afternoon. Woohoo for money! I can pay three bills out of that half.
- I published and mailed the July issue of the family newsletter.
- Household chores.
- Ate lunch with a couple of friends.
- Gave the program Saturday morning for the writers group. It was well received. They even applauded, which was embarrassing but gratifying, too.
- Got my new computer almost to the place it needs to be. And found a new card program. Have to convert all the old cards to the new format, which is going to be quite a chore, but at least I will be able to do so.

Bad included:
- Didn't walk at the gym. Not even once. My excuse was that I was really scrambling to meet my deadlines on the first book -- I lost a week due to my computer dying -- and it took a lot of my time, but I could have fit in exercising if I had really tried.
- Black dog is making everything hard.
- Didn't swim, either. Not even once.
- Watched too much TV.
- Drank too many Diet Dr Peppers. I really do believe soda is bad, but I craved the caffeine. Still do.
- The second book I was publishing has stalled. The author can't seem to clear his schedule to work on the proof. He's given me a few changes, but he has more. And this week, he's gone to camp with his church. Just in a holding pattern there
- Third client that I had lined up ... backed out. Didn't want to pay me. He thought that I could maybe work with him on the weekends on his book. He'd take me out to eat a few times as payment. And of course, he'd give me credit in the book. I politely, but firmly turned him down. I may eventually move into a more traditional mode with Many Rivers Harbor, particularly with books I really think will sell, but not right now. I can't afford to do so. Also, I've figured out that it takes about 40 hours to publish a book. I don't have the hours to give away free.
- Gained four pounds. Lord help me.

This week, I plan:
- Finish what I can on the second book.
- Call a couple of people who expressed interest in publishing with Many Rivers Harbor and see if I can get them lined up.
- Work on Murder by the Mile. Right now, I'm cutting things out. I had too much story going on. Relationships, murders, blackmail, embezzlement, a wedding, three funerals, a divorce, a marathon, a city council meeting ... even I was getting lost. I'm losing words, but the book is gaining a better shape. And the reader will be able to follow the story without having to resort to a scorecard.
- Household chores.
- Walk at least three dang times.
- Swim at least three dang times.
- Stop drinking so much Diet Dr Pepper.
- Try to get more rest.
- Watch my diet!
- Figure out some way to get the black dog to let go of my throat.

I hope y'all have a great week.                                                                                                                               

1 comment:

Tammy Jones said...

Congrats on getting paid!! Woohoo!!

{{huggs}} on the rest. Hang in there, hon. {{huggs}}}

Post a Comment