Monday, July 9, 2012

Wendy's Week--getting caught up

Last week was a lot of fun, but thoroughly disruptive. Nothing less than I expected!  It's entirely possible that we may be doing this again in November over Thanksgiving. Last year we had two of the six; this year we may have three. That's becoming a tradition, too.

Good Stuff:
 - I didn't gain as much weight as I usually do, which surprised me since I only swam once. I was a little more aware of what I was eating, but most of the time I ate what I shouldn't have anyway.

 - I got some embroidery done. My kirtch (the Scottish head covering for married women) for my wedding outfit is almost finished.
- The tartan I ordered arrived. I think we'll have enough to do a great kilt and an arisaid (the girl version of the great kilt).
- My dad turned 71, and he spent the day pain-free thanks to the cortisone shot he got in his neck a few days before. He's just about resigned himself to neck surgery to correct another slipped disk and remove bone spurs, but he hasn't decided when to do it, especially now that we're renewing our vows around his potential target date.
- I took my last dose of Strattera this morning. Tomorrow is the first day with no ADD meds for about five years. Should be interesting.
- I did not over-caffeinate with the Boys here, so I don't need to work through those consequences.

Not So Good Stuff:
- I got no writing done.
- It was hotter than usual, so we stayed inside most of the time. In fact, if we were outside, we were between cool places.
- It rained around us, but not on us. My lawn is getting crunchy, and it's not supposed to do that for another month. Luckily my rain barrels were full to overflowing before the heat kicked in so I can still water the garden with rain water. The plants like that better than city water.

This week:
- Write.
- Swim.
- Track my food and try to get my weight back to where it was before I went to Newport.
- Explore new ways to keep the ADOB (Attention Deficit--Ooooh! Butterfly!) at bay. I have noticed an increased tendency to go down rabbit holes as I've weaned off my meds.

3 comments:

SBB said...

Have you tried the Scribble method for dealing with AD? A therapist, years ago, suggested that I always carry a small notebook with me. When I got distracted, he suggested I scribble down the distraction with a note to come back to it later. That helped me quite a bit in college when I would get so bored with my classwork that my mind would wander.

Jean said...

Sounds like a good, restorative week.

Wendy said...

I have done something similar to the Scribble method. It helps a lot, especially since I tend to forget things if I don't write them down. There does come a point, though, when that becomes counterproductive for me. The technique itself becomes a distraction, or I misplace my list. All part of the process, I guess.

Post a Comment