Saturday, July 28, 2012

Jean's Late July Week

Heading back to Central Texas tomorrow.  This week has gone pretty well.  Here's the story.

The Good Stuff:
- Maybe one session with PBOTL -- not so good, but not terrible.  I do need to establish more regularity working on this if I want to finish the revision this year.
- Hubby made a trip under the house.  He probably has at least two more to do. 
- We got the lawn mowed, the inner side yard has been hacked into submission. The back yard is weeded.  Grass is growing great.  We've trimmed trees and hacked out a lot of overgrowth.
- We hiked the Fredricksburg swap meet.
- Still getting blog posts done.
- I didn't track points this week, but I feel pretty good about how the week worked out.  I had some good lows on weight, but when everything was said and done, I broke even for the week.  My knees felt remarkably good for most of the week.  So far, I think the anti-inflammatory diet moves I've been making are doing some good.

The Not So Good Stuff:
- No peaches anywhere in Fredricksburg.  Apparently, they were ripe early this year.  Bummer.
- While under the house, hubby discovered that the bathtub drain trap is blown out (the original 1941 packing from when the house was built appears to be gone.  That means he'll have to repair that, too.  If something had to be dropping water under the house, I'm thankful it was the tub instead of the toilet.  No more showers or baths until that's fixed.  We'll be back in Central Texas through most of August, so we'll have it on the slate for when we get back.  Hubby picked up some of the things he needs to make the repair at Home Depot today.

The Week Ahead:
- When I get back to Central TX, I need to set up the first level of scaffolding
- I have a VA appointment on Tuesday, so I'm going to stop at my doctor's office and look into getting a referral to family practice physician there who, according to the clinic's website, performs osteopathic manipulations. I think it will help some of my neck, back, hip, and thumb issues. I'm hoping there might be something he can do for at least one of my knees.
- I plan to do some work on PBOTL this week
- Set hubby's new TV up in the bedroom and make sure the wireless HD system I got to transfer the satellite signal for him works.  If this works, buy two more TVs and one more wireless system and another receiver.
- Drop a few things off at Goodwill on my way out of town

4 comments:

SBB said...

Glad your knees are doing better. I do believe the anti-inflam diet works. I know I feel better when I follow it.

Write on PBOTL! I want to read it! ASAP! Have you thought of setting a time limit? When I got blocked on MBTM, I set a limit of just 15 minutes a day. I could go over that -- and did -- but I had to spend 15 minutes on it. The fact it was so little time make it easy to schedule in. It broke my block.

Jean said...

I'm pleased with the difference so far. I've not implemented anything further than eliminating soft drinks and fried foods yet. I am trying to keep my fruit and veggie consumption up. Hubby hassles (mildly) me about my baked sweet potato with steaks, but it doesn't really make a difference for him -- he can still have his regular potato.

I picked up some potato salad this week, not thinking about it being regular potatoes. Ooops.

Wendy said...

You're doing a great job. What is the scaffolding for? Scraping or painting?

Jean said...

The scaffolding will be for final sanding and priming prior to puttying and painting.

I saw my doctor today about getting a referral to the DO in the family practice clinic. He flat out stated he didn't believe in that stuff, but if I wanted to go, feel free. He did conduct an exam to make sure there weren't any other issues, then he sent me for spinal x-rays. He believes it's just osteoarthritis, and nothing will help. X-rays don't raise any flags -- he says spacing in the lower spine looks normal, so there's no reason to believe, from what he could see, that I had any herniated disks (that's a relief to know). He reiterated nothing was likely to help but said I could see the DO if I wanted. I left his office and hiked across the clinic to family practice and made an appointment for August 15th to consult with the DO. He may very well say he can't help me, but I want to make sure.

Twenty-five years ago osteopathic manipulation cured me of headaches so severe they'd go on for 5-7 days or more. I got the manipulation and some exercises to do to stave off the tension headaches I was having, and I've been virtually headache free ever since (I do rarely get what I call "normal" headaches that last a couple of hours at a stretch max).

I understand tension headaches are very different from arthritis, but some of the aches feel more muscular-related than joint-related, so I THINK he may be able to help in at least one or two areas. Looking forward to finding out.

I also found a different pillow to try with memory foam. We'll see if that helps the neck. I know part of the problem is my pillow(s) is not supportive in the proper places.

Post a Comment