Sunday, March 3, 2013

Back. For now.

I'm heading into a busy time. There's a lot to do before everyone shows up for Eric's graduation. Conference hang-over is not helping.

Good Stuff:
- I learned a lot in Destin. No epiphanies this time as such, but lots of things I'd already learned fell into place. Now to apply them.
- Got to hang out with my writing partner and some of her friends. Huntsville AL is a pretty town. We had lunch at a local BBQ place that had St Louis style ribs. I didn't order them, but seeing them on the menu made me laugh.
- Made a few new friends. One of the gals at the conference has family in a town south of us. Her cousin owns the shop here in town where I buy tea and spices sometimes. Small world!
- Hit the ground running when I got home Friday afternoon. Yesterday I went to fencing in the morning (got beat with a stick) and then we met friends from church to see Chris Tomlin in concert. Really, really good show. If you like contemporary Christian music, go see him!
- Spent a good part of today working up a game plan so I can get stuff done. I have a big master list from which I've picked things to do this week.
- My sweet hubby agreed (even before I got home from Destin) to send me off again in April to a mini conference on writing romance. Should be interesting. Several of the gals from Deep Thinkers are going. This one is much less expensive or I wouldn't have considered if for this year.

Not So Good Stuff:
- I got the conference dates mixed up. The page I was looking at said March 22-26. Actually they gathered the evening of the 21st and started the morning of the 22nd, which was the day I was traveling from Huntsville. Luckily I didn't miss anything I hadn't already learned, but I did miss a whole day of bonding, and I scared the coordinators.
- It rained almost the whole time. Not light drizzle. Torrential downpours. Thunderstorms. Flood watches. We did manage an hour on the beach to get pictures and such, and the last day it stopped raining but it was cold and windy. Not that we had time to hang out on the beach, but still!
- There was an issue with the newsletter for the Scottish society and I couldn't get e-mail to send from my iPad, so I asked Eric to e-mail them that I would deal with it when I got back. Instead, they completely reformatted the newsletter, added a few things, and sent it out to membership without letting me know. I found out when the newsletter landed in my inbox. I wanted to send an angry e-mail to the whole board telling them where they could shove the next issue, but Eric talked me off the ledge. They have one more chance before I walk away from the newsletter, and possibly from the group altogether. It's very hard to offend me, but they're making a good go of it.
- Gained 5 lbs last week. That's what happens when there's a good cook and a lot of classroom time, and we won't even talk about the evil chocolate mint malted milk balls.

This Week:
- Whittle down my list. It's too extensive and mundane to list here.
- Start logging food again.
- Back down on my caffeine levels.
- Get back to the gym.
- Start thinking about what I need to do for my writing career business-wise going forward. I think that will be part of this year's learning curve.

4 comments:

Jean said...

Just a nice, relaxing, laid back spring time in Illinois, I see. ;) Nothing to do. Drift with the times.

Give Lose It! a look for tracking. The free version is excellent, even though I decided to spring for Premium after a few days. I have it on the iPad, the iPhone (they have an Android version), and in Firefox. I tend to use it the most on the phone for immediate tracking. The Premium version allows planning ahead, then you check off what you actually do eat and easily delete what you don't. I use the barcode scanner whenever possible, but it has a very usable food database, and you can easily add your own recipes (just put in my tuna noodle casserole barcode scanning all the ingredients).

They completely respect your privacy by default, and if you spring for Premium, they do NOT autorenew (they'll send you a reminder email, but if you don't renew, you drop back to the free version).

It's painless to use, and I love it. If you want a whole social scene with it, that's available, but I'm completely private in my usage of it. (Other than my public blathering here about how much I like it.)

SBB said...

Wow. You are one busy lady, Wendy. And you're doing it without caffeine. Double wow. I'd have to be on a coffee IV to get accomplished all that you are.

Have you done the newsletter for a while? How often does it come out? What does the group do, anyway?

Jean said...

I think a lot of things coming together is equally as valuable as an epiphany. In education-speak, it shows you're grasping the concepts and preparing to apply them in a new way, which indicates you're successfully achieving a new level of learning.

Wendy said...

Im not doing it without caffeine, Stephen. I'm doing it without coffee, but I drink my share of tea and then some. Sugar helps, too. :-)

I've done 2 editions of the newsletter. The group is reorganizing, so I've been willing to cut slack. It's getting to the 'fool me once' phase.

Post a Comment