Saturday, March 23, 2013

Got in before Monday!

For whatever that's worth! It feels like the week was more productive than it was.

(Mostly) Good stuff:
- The kitchen should (fingers crossed) be done this week. The last piece of counter top goes in Monday, and the new kitchen table will be delivered Wednesday. Coincidentally, Eric is planning to take a vacation day Thursday to take care of graduation details and some other must-be-done-during-the-week errands, so he should be around part of the day to help me put stuff together.
- I did practice a couple Warrior Queens, but I have not recorded or sent MP3s.
- Got some writing done, but not two chapters. The focus has been more on getting the first scene right so I can submit it for a contest. Deadline is next week. Anyone want to read it?
- The Merry Maids quote went pretty well. Now we just have to decide on level of service. They have a special where they do the heavy duty spring cleaning free if you sign up for a year of bi-monthly cleaning at $117 per visit. This, of course, is appealing to me because at least my bathrooms and kitchen floor will get cleaned twice a month, not to mention the dusting I never do unless my mom is coming, but it's pricey, and we've spent a lot of money on the house this year. We might just shell out for the one-time cleaning and revisit regular service next month after Alex is done with his undergrad. 

Not so good stuff:
- No donations collected, and not much clutter busted.
- My writing partner discovered she works much more efficiently alone. I'm 46 and got told for the first time, "It's not you, it's me. I just want to be friends." Via e-mail. Yeah, that hurt. She did call me later, and it helped to hear in her voice that was truly the case and she wasn't upset with me over something I said or did. I do tend to be pretty blunt sometimes. We will remain friends, and I hope she'll let me bounce story ideas around in the future, but at this point I've backed way off. It's going to take some time to adjust to the new normal. In the meantime I guess I just count my blessings that she discovered this while I'm in the writing phase and not the plotting phase. One day at a time.
- Had my first judo practice. Not sure what to think about it. On one hand, it's a great workout. I can handle that. I'm not great at it, but I'm better than I thought I was. I kept up with the kids until they started tumbling. Learning the throws was way out of my comfort zone. Eric has asked me to give it a couple months before I throw in the towel. He wants me to develop more of a predator mentality rather than prey so if something bad happens I'll be able to function. On the plus side, while I definitely felt the workout the couple days after, I was never so sore that I couldn't move. I thought it would be a lot worse.
- I've put off a lot of non-fiction reading, and it's almost time to return the books to my bard. Really need to develop a better system to balance bardic studies, writing, and domestic stuff.
- If I sound overwhelmed, it's because I am. I have two weeks before my Warrior Queen performance, the family will be here in seven weeks, and it's supposed to snow tonight. I'm not quite sure why I want to run screaming in terror to hide in the closet. It shouldn't be stressful to prepare for fun things, should it? Perhaps I need to back down the caffeine another notch.

This week:
- Finish the kitchen and move furniture around to accommodate the new stuff
- Warrior Queens
- Read Scottish history
- Write/submit contest entry
- Decide on house cleaning and get it set up
- Clean downstairs carpets so I can see if I need a professional for that, too (sigh)
- Work on clutter
- Take advantage of the snow to take a chill pill and put things in perspective.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Your week looks like what you guys usually say mine looks like -- exhausting. :)

At $234 a month, I think I'd be inclined to pay myself to swish and swipe my bathrooms and mop the kitchen floor at least twice a month. This is truly one area where FlyLady makes it easy. Well, except for the floors. I'm terrible about floors. Mine are embarrassing, but I know it doesn't take $234 of my money to do the job right. (It may, however, be worth it to you, and I won't criticize you if you decide it is, because sometimes, it isn't about the money.)

The cleaning lady came to the house across the street last week, and she was there less than an hour (I don't know what the people across the street from us in SA do with all their time, because they seem to have a cleaning lady, a yard crew, and a nanny -- he does something with Eagle Ford -- the massive fracking operation south of SA, as in appears to own one of the companies working it based upon the trucks that stop by from time to time.)

I hear you on feeling overwhelmed (which is why the one time cleaning makes a lot of sense with the plan to revisit if you want to contract for it on a regular basis). I feel the same way this week, but when I look at what has to be done, it seems pretty routine for me. It still doesn't stop that feeling in my gut of "I'll never get it all done!"

Hope your week goes well!

SBB said...

Wow. Wish I lived closer to you. I could clean your house. :)

You had a busy, good week.

Sorry about your writing partner. I know that stings. I had that happen. I had a play writing partner, and we did three plays together (all three published and produced) before she decided to write on her own. No particular reason. She wanted to grow, she said. It stung at the time, but it turned out okay for me. Not so much for her. Our last play was her last publication. A shame because she has talent. Maybe some day she will use it.

I wish I could read your chapters, but I'm buried here in MBTM and all my projects. Things will be better in June or July when MBTM is finally published. I will be able to breathe again. And I hope money will be coming in again. It's a bit tight here right now. :(

Post a Comment