Saturday, February 1, 2014

#667

Tammy, did you know your Mutiny post was #666? Ironic.

So, not a terrible week. I've been inside a lot because of the cold, but it's warmed up today. It's 32* and snowing, which, in my book, is an improvement, especially since I have nowhere to be and more than ample provisions.

Good Stuff:
- I got words in! Taking the best part of 3 weeks off really put a dent in my vacation time. I'm going to have to work some weekends to make it up.
- The trip downstate wasn't a terrible as I'd thought it would be. The kids have started shifting stuff around. They've hung some swords and pictures. It looks different, but that's good. I want them to make it their own.
- The bonus was they were actually there, and Justin was a big help getting things loaded. We call him the Tetris Master for a reason. I managed to get the last chair and my grandmother clock (the one my grandpa built) in the van along with a dozen or so boxes and the big wicker basket with our kilts. I had hoped to get the gear for the Scottish Games, but we won't need it for a few more months. It'll keep until the weather gets better.
- Just when I started to despair, the living took shape in front of my eyes. Getting the clock in made a big difference, which I can't explain.
- We found a new place about a quarter mile up the road that makes pizza Italian-style in a wood oven. So good! They have a nice variety of Middle Eastern food too, and it's close enough to walk, even in weather as cold as we've been having. The limeade alone is worth the walk.
- I found out I can buy a reloadable bus pass across the street at the drug store. Too bad I didn't do the research before I went to the drug store earlier that day!

Not So Good Stuff:
- I had no idea the downstate pantry held as much as it did. My pantry here is full to overflowing and there are tubs of food in the storage closet. So, yeah, ample provisions.
- I haven't looked into gym membership yet. Yeah, I know, I'm busy, but I'm also grazing, and we won't talk about the clothing that's getting tight. It's February now, so the Fitness Resolution people should be out of the way.

This Week:
- Press on getting settled.
- Continue to think out of the box when it comes to finding homes for things.
- Inquire about gym membership.

3 comments:

Jean said...

#666 and mutiny -- much irony.

You live on the top floor, right? You have stairs, right? Built in gym membership for now. Take the stairs whenever feasible.

Yay for words. Yay for TetrisMaster. Clearly, the grandmother clock says home to you. Once it's in place, your mind is at ease.

But seriously, look into some of the equipment free programs on Lift to tide you over, then you'll want to find a gym with a pool, fencing, and other things you can't do easily at home. I'm doing 3 Months to a New You, and all it is is pushups, jumping jacks, and squats. I modify the pushups to wall pushups and jumping jacks to arms only and am doing about half the prescribed squats to modify the program for my current limitations. But it's a program, and next time through, I plan to begin doing pushups on the stairs to ease me into a full pushup. (If you don't want to jump on the floor and disrupt the downstairs neighbors, that jumping jack modification might work for you, too.)

But if you don't want to do that program, they have several others. Erin's doing the planking one. Look around and see what fits you.

Glad to hear you're getting settled into the neighborhood and finding places you like. That really helps make a place feel like home, too. Good luck finding the right gym for your needs.

Wendy said...

Good idea on the exercise, Jean. I do take the stairs down once in a while. Not enough, apparently, since my knees seem to hitch when I do. It's a good way to start, though, until the weather breaks and I find some yoga classes. I seriously doubt I'll find a gym that does combat fencing, but you never know.

Jean said...

There must be one in Chicago. The city has banned guns, so combat fencing would make a lot of sense (maybe not). It's probably more a matter of how far you'd have to travel to get to it.

Post a Comment