Sunday, February 16, 2014

Take It As It Comes

Everything's fine.  Everything's awful.  Nothing's really wrong, and nothing's really right.  That's kind of where I'm at right now. 

Here's what's good, I think:
  • Got some work done on Polar Bear on the Loose this week.
  • Got some writing done.
  • Paperwork seems to be gathered for taxes
  • I enjoyed seeing my niece play soccer last weekend
  • Did a session on the recumbent bike -- oh, my knees needed that. By the end, they were moving fairly well.  
  • I'm still pleased with the minefield navigation of mindful eating. 
  • I'll be meeting another writer from Germany in Mid-March who is traveling to San Antonio, triggering more Texas writers to travel to San Antonio to meet her, too, so I can look forward to meeting several Texas writers next month.
  • Traveling to Dallas next weekend for a swap meet and to see the kids.
  • Got the corner crape myrtle bushes trimmed and cut back in preparation for spring
The Not So Good:
  • I'm not sure which is worse, living with ten cats or an unhappy husband.  Lady is still terrorizing Rossie, but Rossie has remained out in the open more despite that.  We think Delta is our peeing/spraying cat -- she's in the cage now to help verify.  Mr. L has a sore back, a sore right knee (welcome to my world), isn't sleeping well, and is frustrated with nearly everything -- mostly me, it seems.
  • Just general dissatisfaction with a lot of little First World Problems.  I'll work my way through them -- no reason to worry. For example, we have a trailer plate that expires in April, 2014.  We're not sure which trailer it's supposed to go on.  Obviously, one of two trailers out at the ranch we haven't used in a while, but it's the niggling administrivia like that.  (The good thing is the renewal notice will arrive in the mail soon, and we'll be able to figure it out.)
  • At the end of this month, we'll be spending two and a half weeks in San Antonio followed by a weekend in Houston for another swap meet.  We have lots of spring yard and tree work to do in San Antonio.
The Week Ahead:
  • Make reservations for two for boarding -- Lady and Delta for different reasons can't be left loose and can't be caged while we're out of town, so the safest option is to board them while we're in Dallas.
  • Get more work done on Polar Bear on the Loose.
  • Continue work on A-Z Challenge posts
  • Finish the bare essential winter tree work here in Central Texas
  • More decluttering -- I have a box of shredding downstairs to take upstairs and shred, for instance, but there's so much more.

7 comments:

Tammy Jones said...

{{hugs}} I think everyone's in that 'nothing wrong but nothing right, either' stage.

Sorry about the cats. After years of struggle, we finally gave up on Cooper and his inappropriate potty habits and continual chewing of power and USB cords (and purse straps, shoe laces, any kind of cording or connecting things, rubber handles, essentially anything he could gnaw on). He went to live on a friend's farm and promptly ran off, never to be seen again. I still feel awful about that, even tho it's been almost two years. He was such a sweetheart personality wise, but also sooooooooo destructive and expensive. (A MacBook power cord had a life expectancy of about 2 months, here, for example, and I dunno how many times I'd replaced my sewing machine power and footpedal cords.) He simply Had To Go somewhere where his chewing wouldn't cause trouble, but, Gah! The guilt!! I wish I had an answer for you, Lady, and Delta. It's not fair for them to spend much of their life caged up, but it's not fair for you - or the other cats, either! - to have to deal with their behavior issues.

{{hugs}}

What, precisely, do you tend to swap at a swap meet?

Jean said...

These are car parts (and related items) swap meets. I'm not as enthusiastic about attending them as I used to be, but they are good for walking. I took my cane yesterday and swapped hands to support each knee as it began to hurt. Perhaps the pain is contributing to my lack of enjoyment. I don't know.

Jean said...

(Breaking this up, because I had a long one that got discombobulated and I lost it -- hate having to retype things.) I'm so sorry about Cooper. I knew you took him to the farm, but I hadn't realized he promptly ran off never to be heard from again. I understand the guilt.

Tammy Jones said...

Yeah, when Bill dropped him off, he scrambled for the nearest tree and wouldn't come down. The next morning he was gone. Very sad.

I still look for him every time we drive by that area. I hope he found a good home in one of the nearby farms, or happily went wild. He was a VERY accomplished hunter and preferred being outside so I'm sure he could keep himself fed and warm, but there are a lot of coyotes out here. That's my big worry, ya know, but there's no help for it. {{hugs}}

Jean said...

Lady had 24 hours outside the cage from Friday night to Saturday night. She got into at least two chasing altercations with Rossie (at least two, because we were gone yesterday, and I unlocked to the door to sounds of a cat fight, so I don't know what went on while we were gone). Mr. L thinks they staged the fight just because we got home -- and I don't doubt it. Nobody is getting hurt in these altercations, but there is much running and yelling and Rossie's bladder empties, so that last tells me it's unlikely to be play. Lady outweighs Rossie by twice.

Delta's issues seems to be a sensitivity to the litter box not being clean. In December, we switched litter (which could be related as well), and I began scooping twice a day (at least). The upstairs litter box, though, used to be scooped twice a week on trash days, because it had been low usage -- until I started closing the door to the parlor during the days to let Lady out, then more kitties began using the upstairs box. I've remedied the upstairs box scooping issue, and I probably need to add a box up there. Will that satisfy Delta's delicate tastes? We'll have to see. For now, she's in the cage as a means of testing to find out if anyone else is doing it, too.

Wendy said...

"Everything's fine. Everything's awful. Nothing's really wrong, and nothing's really right."

I'm sensing a theme. What is it with us? Is it winter? Is it the artist temperament? I totally understand getting worn down by first world problems. I'm there too.

SBB said...

Jean, a friend of mine who works at OSU's vet school suggested you swap bedding of the quarrelling animals. They often do this with cats, dogs, rabbits, and monkeys who can't get along when loose in the walking area. She says that the animals become accustomed to each other's scent while they sleep and soon start showing less or no aggression to each other. Might be worth it to try.

Sorry about your "meh," too. Must be winter. I'm so hungry for spring and green grass and budding trees, it's almost a physical need.

Post a Comment