Saturday, August 23, 2014

Psychobabble

This hasn't been one of my more productive weeks.  I must have brushed my hands through something that responds like nettles while I was at the ranch two weeks ago, because that's what the itchy bumps on my hands resemble. If I take the generic Benadryl every four hours, I can hold most of the itching at bay. The rash on my neck is subsiding. Just in time to go back out to the ranch on Monday.  I think I'll wear disposable rubber gloves while I'm out there.  And long sleeves.

I think we've done all the work we can do for now on Blackbirds First Flight, Stephen put out the press release and took the website live.  I built a Facebook Author page.  Thanks for liking, Wendy. I also added a page to my Rantings and Ravings website for Readers. 

We're slowly pulling things together for setting up at the Giddings Swap Meet.  Since we're staying in a motel while we're down there, that will certainly consume any profit we make on the weekend, but when Mr. L showed me how easy it would be for someone to lock us into our trailer if we stayed there, I knew I had to make that suggestion, or he'd have worried me to death with that prospect.  Once that man gets an idea in his head like that, there's no putting it to rest.  I'll have to make a run back up to the house to check on the cats (scoop litter boxes and check to make sure Floyd hasn't tossed the water tower) and give Lady medicine at least once during the weekend.  As far as getting ready to go, Mr. L appears to be putting most of what we need to do off for the last minute as is his preferred working style (why did I not notice this before we married -- it bugs me to no end, but I've gotten better at not making it an issue for me).

I got very little work done on Kitty City -- something isn't resonating with the story.  I'm still making progress on Polar Bear on the Loose.  The week feels as if it's been very non-productive.

The Week Ahead:
  • Get things priced and packed for Giddings
  • Help Mr. L as much as I can get ready for the swap meet.
  • Work on Polar Bear on the Loose
  • Try to tease a thread of value into Kitty City
  • Check the deer feeder and game camera at the ranch.
  • Have fun at the swap meet.  We haven't set up at a meet in nearly twenty years, and we're doing it differently this time than we have in the past, but we're both looking forward to it. It don't anticipate having any problem making the cost of our spaces back, but there's virtually no way we will earn enough to cover the cost of our room and meals, so that part will just have to be for fun.

3 comments:

Tammy Jones said...

Doing the meet for fun sounds like the best idea. I know some people do great at swap meets, but you just never know. It's the same with garage sales. We try to look at it as we're getting rid of stuff. Any profit is great, but the real benefit is removing clutter. I also like the motel idea. It'll give you a visual break, if nothing else, and hot showers. ;)

Sorry about the rashes. Is there a pre-emptive medication you can take if you know you're likely to be handling plants?

Congrats on progress on PBOTL!! Woot!

Jean said...

There is, but I wasn't SUPPOSED to be handling plants. In fact the most likely place to encounter the nasty was by the gate, and since our neighbor was cutting hay when I got there, the gate was wide open for ingress and egress, so I didn't need to get out of the truck. The only thing I can figure is when my focus was on setting up the deer feeder, placing the camera, programming the timer, and loading the corn, I must have really brushed through some stuff that disagrees with me.

Definitely -- getting rid of auto parts (and a few other things) we no longer need will be the thing about the meet. We enjoy the experience, too. Swap meet people are really interesting to talk to.

Jean said...

Taking one antihistamine tablet every three hours seems to bring complete relief from itching. Trying to stretch it to the four to six hours it says on the bottle doesn't work. Taking two doesn't help. So. I tablet every three hours. (They are past their freshness date, so they may not be as potent.) I slept with powdered nitrile gloves last night, and that helped a little.

Post a Comment