Sunday, September 14, 2014

I Just Couldn't Say No

I bought a bunch of domain names this week.  I've already mentioned the StrayCatsBooks trio of .com, .net., and .org. I've been getting emails via the domainsbyproxy website soliciting me to bid on mercuryranch.com, which would be coming available soon.  They wanted me to bid $99.  Then yesterday, I got two emails, one wanting me to buy it for $50 and the other for $20.  I thought, "It must be available now, and sure enough, it was.  I bought it at a very nice rate and locked it in for 10 years.  They offered me an add-on package for .bix, .info, and .net for $13 for the bundle.  I locked them in for a year with domain privacy on all of them.  I just have to figure out what to do with them and see if I can find a way to monetize them.  That's the part I get squeamish about.  Mostly, I'm afraid I'm going to do something wrong.

The San Antonio yard was mostly in good shape.  The west side of the yard that gets all the afternoon and evening sun was desperately in need of watering after three weeks, and we lost a little bit of grass there, but it should recover quickly.

I came back early Thursday morning to drop two cats at boarding and prepare the house for us to be gone for the weekend. Then I hopped in the truck with Mr. L, and we headed to Dallas. 

Thursday evening we picked up a long-time swap meet friend of Mr. Ls and took him to dinner.  The friend's wife has required constant care for the last three years (she just moved to a nursing home a couple of weeks ago), so our friend is very tired as well as dealing with his wife's shrinking window for life. He seemed more rejuvenated when we dropped him back at his house after the evening, so we hope the opportunity to get out was helpful for him.

Friday, we attended the Decatur Swap Meet (it rained for the first half hour we were there, then it stopped, and things were nice and cool and not too wet. Mr. L found a Garand cleaning kit, and we stocked up on clamps for holding tarps over swap meet tables. Friday evening we met up with the kids for drinks, dinner, and back to Z-Grill for socializing.  The band cranked up shortly after that, so that killed any socializing.  After too long, we headed out.  I checked at the door to make sure Mr. L was behind me.  He was at the middle of the dance floor, getting a hug good-bye from the band's female vocalist (we know her through the kids). I turned right and headed to the truck to unlock it.  I got to the truck, unlocked it, started to climb in and looked back in the direction I'd come from. No Mr. L. Where is he?  I wait a couple seconds.  Still no Mr. L.  I close the door, and head back to the restaurant. I see my son in law scurrying out the door.  Mr. L is on the ground beside the band's trailer, laid out.  Apparently, he tripped coming out of the restaurant.  As usual, his face broke the fall (second time in a month he's done this). A crowd of people is around him, including our daughter. He's fine, but he has a couple scrapes on his forehead and a cut on his nose.  Another scratch on his glasses lenses, and a chipped tooth. His left eye is blackening (his right eye just cleared up from the last fall).  We'll take him in to the dentist Monday morning to see if there's any dental damage other than the chipped tooth and make arrangements to get the tooth repaired. Then he'll call his eye doctor and see about ordering new lenses (a lense got scratched in each fall). Kind of scary, but he seems to be fine. 

Saturday, three of us went to the swap meet while son-in-law worked.  We picked up a couple Craftsman brand garden hoses, and Mr. L. found a lantern and a wooden Pepsi crate. We're looking for accessories for our vending machine. Thankfully, Saturday evening was a little less eventful.  Endless shrimp at Red Lobster, and after letting the guys try it, I got the kids' new TV remote programmed so they can watch TV again (the puppy ate the original one).

Grandchildren are doing fine, but we didn't see them all weekend.  The older one was working and lives just off campus at University of North Texas, and the younger one was spending the weekend with a friend.

The cats appear to have left the house in restorable condition.  I got a little bit of type-in done on Polar Bear on the Loose this week, but nothing else exciting is happening.

The week ahead:
  • Get Mr. L's tooth looked at
  • Get new lenses ordered for his glasses
  • Do yard work
  • Do writing work
  • Work on a logo for Stray Cats Books -- I have some sketches to work from
  • Consider a unified strategy for my various domains
  • Pick up Lady and Floyd from boarding
  • Do preliminary prep work about auto-responders and author newsletters for Ada Writers (Stephen claims they are interested, but I think he just wants meeting content -- either way, I can put together some useful information).
  • Begin preparing for the PA trip.  It's looming.
Have a great week, y'all.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh, dear, I hope Mr. L recovers. That's got to be scary. It's funny that you programmed a remote for your kids. Usually it's the other way around!

Jean said...

Just realized my parked domains have either GoDaddy or BlueHost dummy pages up. I need to fix that and get something up for ME.

Jean said...

Wendy, that's what I was thinking about how funny it was to be programming for the kids. Mr. L is fine, but we're both concerned about the two falls in so short a time.

Jean said...

Ensured all 13 domains (is this a problem?) were added to my Bluehost CPanel and have folders assigned. Now, instead of a Bluehost advertising page associated with all my domains (I changed all the nameservers in GoDaddy to point to Bluehost), I have a Bluehost header with "no content" indicators. It's better than an advertising page. I need to create a basic landing page for all of them advertising my active pages and including links to those pages - and maybe a signup page for more information for when these sites go live.

Tammy Jones said...

It ate my comment. :(

Thirteen domains seems like a LOT to me. I can barely manage my one! lol

I hope Mr L checks out all right. Two falls so close together is quite worrisome. {{hugs}}

Post a Comment