Monday, September 1, 2014

Long Twin Silver Lines

I did a bit of driving this week.  I made an extra (unnecessary) trip back to the house on Friday to check on cats, give Lady her medicine, and scoop litter boxes.  The house was calm and quiet (and had been that way while we were gone), so the cats looked up with a, "What are you doing here?" expression when I came in the door.

I think the swap meet went well.  We positioned the trailers and set up the canopies on Thursday afternoon. Friday morning, we pulled out good for sale and were available to sell stuff.  Mr. L worked until 10 then began his rounds.  Before noon, he'd purchased a trunk lid for the Spitfire (ours has a rusted area). On Saturday, he found two Jeep wheels and tires, and a Jeep air cleaner assembly. He also may have a line on a '46 Mercury coupe.  If he buys that, we'll have four '46 Mercurys.  They only made six versions of it. He'd have bought that stuff whether we set up or not, so that doesn't count against our profitability for the weekend (thank goodness).  We just made back the cost of our four spaces on Friday.  Saturday, we almost made back the cost of our room--a bonus.  Instead, Mr. L misplaced his large external battery he uses for recharging his tablet and phone on the go.  I've ordered a replacement, but that made a serious cut into our profits if we don't find it.  We've searched everywhere, and it has not turned up yet. We had a mix of auto parts, household items, and miscellaneous stuff, and it all got looked at and purchased in some quantity.  I enjoyed the meet, and I hope Mr. L wants to set up again next year.  So far, he seems to have mixed feelings about it.  I think as he sees we really did sell stuff that he might be more enthusiastic about returning next year.

I took the game camera back out to the ranch with fresh batteries this morning. I trimmed branches to give the camera a clearer field of view. I met the ranch manager from next door, and we chatted across the fence line for a while.  Nice guy.  He's the son of the guy we coordinated the fence replacement with.  The wealthy businessman who owns the ranch has a gem in this management team (company?).  They've worked together for a long time, and it shows.

I did some back end work on FM moving a pips directory over and creating a main page for it so moderators can work with pips in preparation to making pips an option on the site again.

I made my room reservations for the Ada book signing.  Wendy and I will ride up and back from Dallas, and we're looking forward to the experience.  Trying to decide how many books I want at the special price this week. I still have to decide what to wear for the signing.

The Week Ahead:
  • We're supposed to be making boards this week, but Mr. L is dragging his feet.  I'm not sure if this is new or if he's really always been this way, but he will tell me he wants to do one thing -- make boards for the house, but first he has to move his bass (which needs repair since he broke it at the New Year's gig) to keep wood shavings from getting inside). So, since I understand we're making boards this week but he has to position the planer and move his bass, I suggest I can run to the ranch while he's doing that this morning. so I'm ready to help him when he's ready to work. By saying that, I'm pushing him to fix the bass right away before we begin making boards right away.  Um...not quite.  I guess him saying we need to make boards this week will translate into making boards...sometime.  Okay, then.  No problem.  I can plan around that just fine.  As I told him at breakfast, I want to push him, and I don't really care what order he works in.  I'm just trying to plan so I'm available when he's ready for me.
  • More work on Polar Bear on the Loose this week.  I'm doing type-in.  It's fun.
  • I still have a book review to do for Library Thing's Early Reviewer program.  I thought this book was going to be about Martin Luther King, Jr.  Unfortunately, it's a memoir by the frustrated 60's radical who was chosen to head the King Papers Project.  Not quite what I was anticipating. On Chapter 15 of 22 and plodding through.
  • I'm taking a podcasting class.  I have to give it much more thought, but I'm seeing a couple of possibilities.  I'm thinking about using podcasts as pre-launch content for books.  I'm also considering doing podcasts for friends who are launching books in an interview format.  I figure I have enough friends who are self-publishing books, I might only have to do podcasts with friends, so I could call it, "My Friends' Books."  I think I could do one a month pretty easily to cover friend's new releases of.  Does that sound remotely interesting to any of you?
  • I need to troubleshoot some problems I'm having with Kitty City.  I'm rethinking whether I should be using Granite Hill as my series, and Wendy and I will probably play with that a little on the way to Ada from Dallas.
  • I need to pay bills. I'm sure there are a few other sundry items to consider, but after four days of hanging out in a park field and the motel with Mr. L, I'm feeling a little out of sorts.  That will "sort" itself out soon, I think.
  • Have a great week, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment