Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Integration

I fear it may be too early in the experiment to make this declaration, but it seems the combination of Weight Watchers (for the structure), The Mouth Trap (for the resentment), and Health Month (for the areas of focus) are combining to keep my mental state positive and my results in the loss column (the goal).

I'm on Week 5 of the program, and I've experienced no resentment.  In fact, I think the "What I didn't eat today" item on my Things list may actually prevent resentment.  How is that?  In the past, I resented that there were things I couldn't eat for whatever reason, but I've been interested to note that I never have anything that I really want to eat that I decide not to eat.  I have made comments in the notes section of the item sometimes before checking it off -- more a notation of what might have been a trigger for such feelings, but they haven't developed yet.  Again, it may be too soon in this experiment to say, or, it's possible that just having a place to express unmet desires may have eliminated them.  But I can also see that there isn't anything I'm feeling deprived of -- at least, not so far.

The mind is such a critical piece in achieving weight loss.  Anything in this effort that will keep me mentally in the game is worthwhile.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Maybe it's working because it's a list of what you didn't eat, not what you couldn't eat. It was a choice you made, not something that was forced upon you. I'm rebellious enough that if it's a can't eat, I'm going to crave it until I eat it. If it's a shouldn't eat, I'm less likely to go there, or if I do, to only eat a bite or two.

Tammy Jones said...

Oh, Jean, that sounds AWESOME! I'm so glad it's working for you.

Jean said...

Wendy, that's one reason why I refuse to say I CAN'T eat any particular thing. It's very important to me that I am able to eat whatever I want. I want to learn moderation and portion control not draconian rules of deprivation.

I probably should have included meal planning, too. If I know what we're planning to have for supper, I can balance the rest of the day and make smarter choices. I'm considering expanding planning to other meals but am not sure I want to do that yet. I do try to have a variety of items available for breakfast and lunch -- especially fruits and vegetables.

Wendy said...

I'm finding it's helping me with meal planning. More and more, I'm thinking about dinner early in the day, and I'll log in what I'm making in the middle of the afternoon so I can see how many more points I have to play with.

Jean said...

In addition to meal planning, I'll add the support here and from knowing Wendy is doing what I'm doing.

I know WW has a whole community, but I've never really gotten into it. Last time I did it, I didn't have another person I knew doing it, too. I think it helps this time.

One thing that really helps is why I'm doing it. Before it was because the AF demanded it. Now, I want to do it. We all know what a difference that can make.

Wendy said...

I found out tonight that the company Eric works for will reimburse half of the monthly WW fee if he joins. He's thinking about it. :)

Post a Comment