Monday, March 21, 2011

Writing, editing, throwing pages away, weeping ...

And that's what I've been doing with Murder by the Mile. I'm having to dump about a fourth of the book. Can't save the words. I went a wrong direction, and the destination is bad, bad, bad. I'm having to back up and go another way. The new way will be better. MBTM is a cozy, and that's what my readers expect. And what I'm happiest writing.

I hadn't realized how much my emotional state had influenced the book. I was depressed, angry, and despairing. As a result, my characters were depressed, angry, and despairing. They made all the wrong relationship choices. And the murder mystery got lost.

Well, there's no fix for it except to rewrite it, and that's what I'm doing. How are things with your books? Going well, I hope. If not, join me in the weeping rewriting room. We'll work it out.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Good catch! So you made it into a dark romance by accident?

Maybe that's why Lisa wouldn't commit to a wedding date? The relationship was going all wrong. Good girl for having the insight to recognize a train wreck in the making and holding back. She was trying to tell you something, and good for you for listening to her.

Wendy said...

Women do have an instinct about things like that. Even fictional ones. ;)

Post a Comment