Sunday, July 7, 2013

back from WI

Just popping in for a sec since I have a house full of company and I have to get downstairs shortly to get my part of dinner going. We spent the weekend at the Bristol Renaissance Fairre in Wisconsin. A good time was had by all and we didn't spend as much money as we thought we might. Vicky went with us, sans the boyfriend, so she got good bonding time with the Boys (aka The Uncles), including getting tossed around in the swimming pool last night. I found a bard cup and a stout walking stick. Now all I need is rehearsal time and I'll be ready to tell stories in the nursing homes.

The only fly in the ointment is that I bought a leather vest for Eric yesterday, and USAA thought it was fraud since the company is based in PA. I appreciate their diligence and I can't get mad about it, but it's taken two tries to get my card unblocked. I've had similar things happen before and it has been fraud so it's worth the trouble. At least I don't have to contact all the people who debit my card on a regular basis to change the number. Again.

That's about it from here. I'll get pictures from the ren fairre up on my blog tomorrow. I'm pretty brain fried right now. Looking forward to a good meal and my bed. Have a great week!

5 comments:

Tammy Jones said...

Welcome home! Sounds like you had a great time. {{hugs}}

Jean said...

Bummer on the fraud alert. USAA is usually very good at that. The one time they flagged my account, I was on vacation and was, I think, making arrangements to pay my bill on line, and saw the account was flagged with a note for me to call them, so I did. They asked about several purchases (skateboard stuff and a bunch of other stuff I would never buy, and it was all in Europe, where I rarely shop). After they read down each one and I yayed or nayed, they took care of everything, but I had to swap all my online payments to a different card until I could get home to get the new card. It was a hassle, but not that bad.

On the other hand, I have switched everything off my Chase card because every time I try to use it, it gets flagged. I still have it, but I'm looking (not very hard) for a different card that has the same or better interest rate.

SBB said...

Want to mention here how much I enjoyed the DVD of your Bardic performances. Awesome. Informative and entertaining. I would have tossed a coin at you. :)

Glad the card companies are becoming more proactive. That's cool.

Jean said...

I would like to add that I also enjoyed the DVD. I was amazed. I also thought the crowd didn't fully appreciate the humor, but I suspect they were guzzling spirits of some kind and not fully focused upon your stories. (But your videographer did appreciate several portions -- was that Eric?)

Wendy said...

Thanks guys. I don't like to watch it. All I see are my mistakes. Yes, there were a few.

Stephen, I've never had a coin thrown at me before!

Jean, Eric was the videographer. The crowd threw me a little because it was the party tent. The people in the front were paying attention, but for those in the back I was background noise. Being so far from the audience was different from a normal storytelling, too. I had planned to ask friends to hold bits of jewelry for me so I could reeve (steal) during the telling. That was a part that didn't work in that setting. Overall I was pretty happy with it, and so was my bard. I gave the CD to the band in Chicago when we won't for the Games, and they were thrilled.

Post a Comment