Saturday, July 27, 2013

Back to the Island

Yep.  We're back on our little island in Texas.  Land-locked, of course.

The Good Stuff:
  • I got all the properties mowed this week.  I still have weed whacking and shrub trimming at the Central Texas house to do.  Everything else is done.  Whew!
  •  Stephen and Holly both released anthologies this week, and I'm pleased to have been able to purchase both of them.
  • We survived and enjoyed the Grant Tour 2013.  It went pretty well.  Mr L was the model husband at my class reunion.
  • Easy slow cooker recipe:  Package of country pork ribs and your favorite BBQ sauce.  Mix well, cook on high for six hours.  Tender and tasty.  I roasted a couple of ears of corn to serve with it, but you can do whatever works for you.  Leftovers nuke up nicely.
  • I pulled PBOTL out of the drawer before we left on vacation to make sure it was front and center when we got back.  I also committed to finishing Lesson 13 of HTRYN by August 31.  I began working on it last night.
  • I was worried about Sneaky while we were gone.  While there was no sign of her in the afternoon when I got back to town, by 9 that night, she was at the parlor window begging for attention.  Mr L had suggested I turn the side porch light on for her.  I did.  No idea if it made a difference, but we're going to choose to believe it did.
  • All the other kitties survived two weeks at the vet.  Natasha danced in excitement in her cage when I walked in the door (boarding cages are in a vestibule in the front of the clinic, so everyone gets to see the kitties when they come in).  Ajax began pacing in his cage.  Everyone else looked at me like I'd subjected them to the most horrible experience possible.  Natasha, Lady, and Tarzan have been at my side since I got home.  Everyone else has resumed normal activities.
The Not So Good Stuff:
  • We got rain in Texas while we were gone, and a tenth of an inch last night here in Central Texas.  We need more.  San Antonio is planning to go to Stage 3 watering restrictions for the first time ever.  If San Antonio goes, Alamo Heights (where we really live in SA) will be right behind them.  Generally speaking, if we can get through July, the grass will do well the rest of the year, and I think we'll be okay, but the larger issue of water in South and Central Texas is a growing one.
  • Mr L was greeted by a jury summons in the hold mail after we got home.  He was not thrilled.
The Week Ahead:
  • Work steadily and regularly on PBOTL
  • Finish catching up the yard work
  • Make sure I get exercise and stretching (left ankle and right glute are giving me trouble)
  • Stephen, I hope you have a wonderful birthday.
  • Prepare to head to SA for a couple of weeks next weekend.

1 comment:

SBB said...

Thank for the birthday wish, Jean!

Oklahoma has been blessed with a lot of rain so far this year. It's been really surprising to have the lower temps and moisture in July. Wish you got some of this down there, too.

I will try to get your anthology mailed tomorrow. I think I have to get out. If not, I will mail it on my birthday, which seems fitting somehow. I'm hoping the bookmarks would come in before I mail it, but it doesn't seem like that's going to be the case.

So the cats survived. Good. I didn't take any of their calls this year. I haven't totally recovered from last year, and I know Father McMannaly hasn't, either. ;)

Post a Comment