Monday, July 22, 2013

TIme keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping...

Somehow the weekend  got past me, although I did think about y'all yesterday. That counts, right?

Good stuff:
- The story telling went well. I wasn't out of the building before at least 1 resident asked the staff to have me back, so I'm scheduled to go again next month. I have another session in another facility this week. The only thing I would have changed last week was a cooler costume option. The AC wasn't very effective.
- I found tomato plants at Home Depot. They're not the heirlooms I wanted, and they were getting to the point of needing to be re-potted. One in particular was pretty puny and I'm hoping it will make a comeback.
- Between running and walking, I did about 10 miles last week. The shocking part is that I'm not sore. My knees twinge a bit on the stairs, but that's about it. I guess that means I have to push more.
- Because the humidity has been driving up the temperatures, even early in the morning, I decided to try running on the treadmill at the Y this morning. I think it went all right, and I did like that it figured out all my stats for me so I could log it easily. I still got super sweaty, but I cooled down a lot faster.
- For various reasons, I found myself out and about a few afternoons this week during my low ebb time. As a result, I spent less time in front of the TV snacking.
- Between the reduced snacking and increased exercise, I dropped a couple pounds. Funny how success breeds motivation.
- My fencing teacher has gone back to doing drills with me instead of the free-for-all bouts we've been doing. In these drills, I'm either attacking or defending, so I can see openings better. The best part is I'm not so bruised!
- July birthday shopping is done, and I did a little Christmas shopping while I was at it. Honestly, I think I could have done almost all of Vicky's Christmas shopping on ThinkGeek.com.

Not So Good Stuff:
- We managed most of last week with one car, but this morning 5:45 came awfully early. Driving in with Eric at 6:15, I was praying for an engine. Not sure I've done that before. I don't remember thinking, "This sucks," so many times in an hour before. Hopefully we'll get Vicky's car back in a few days.
- I got more words in last week, and I thought I might make my weekly goal, but then I ran out of plot. Drat! I've backed away a bit and started reading James Scott Bell's "Conflict And Suspense." Hopefully it will help me to increase the drama level so I can sail past the muddle in the middle. Resisting skipping this and moving on to the end, which is what I've done several times in the past and have ended up with pieces of stories.
- My 'boring' time is drawing to another temporary close. I leave next Tuesday to visit my folks in MI. I'm sure Mom will have the week jam-packed.
- I signed up for a session with the personal trainer at the Y last week and he hasn't called me yet to set it up. The gym area was closed two days last week so they could install new equipment, so maybe he's just behind, but I've had communication issues with him before. I followed up this morning and the people I talked to thought that sounded unusual. I told them I'm giving him until Friday to set it up or I'm asking for my money back. It's not like I need a lot of his time. I just need him to set up a game plan for me combining the cardio and weight training. I think I could figure out how to use the machines on my own if he would just tell me which machines, how much weight and number of reps.
- I learned that one of the gals in the praise band has serious mental issues. I thought she was just high strung and tense (like Chihuahua in a past life), but it turns out she has a genuine mental disorder and doesn't think she needs medication. She's been increasing inappropriate with staff members to the point that she's been told via certified mail to stay away from one of the pastors, and she thinks she's being persecuted. She's left the church and I want to tell her I'm praying for her, but I'm afraid she'll imprint on me. That would be really bad. I'm such a mother hen and it's gotten me into trouble, so I know as much as I want to, I can't have contact with her. It's just sad.

This Week:
- Increase my run time and push a little harder.
- Get words in, for heaven's sake!
- Read. I'm going to have to work up stories for next month.
- Get my hair cut. It's too hot to have hair on my neck, and it's not long enough to put up yet.

Have a good week, guys!

3 comments:

SBB said...

Yes, it counts!

Do you write from an outline? Or scene cards? I find both helpful when I run out of plot.

Jean said...

The beauty of prayer is you can pray for people without having to tell them. Don't give up on that if you feel called to do so.

On the train, I've been making index cards that I attribute to NaNo 2013. So far, I have nine cards. I'm not sure what they're going to mean in the long run.

Running out of plot really stinks--especially when replacement plot seems to be back ordered everywhere. Good luck.

Wendy said...

Even when I outline or make notecards, the middle of the story is a foggy, amorphous blob. Act 2 has always been The Pit Of Despair for me. I know there has to be stuff happening, and it has to make sense, but it's always a slog to get through and I end up plotting 1-3 scenes at a time. It's a long, time-consuming process that I haven't found a solution for. That's my holy grail. I wish it were as easy as waiting for a back-ordered replacement plot!

Post a Comment