Friday, July 19, 2013

Roll On Down the Highway

Or, in our case, the railway.  This will catch up last week and this week, in case I don't get logged in on Saturday or Sunday.

The Good Stuff:
  • Had a good reunion. Out of a class of 230 (with about 200 of us still around), we had thirty attendees with a few spouses.  Apparently, we didn't have the "usual" group (obviously, since I attended!), and there were several people who, like me, either hadn't attended before or hadn't attended for a long time.
  • Was able to touch base with a few friends in the Washington, DC, area.  
  • We planned this trip well (see below).
The Not So Good Stuff:
  • If it could be delayed on this trip, it was.  In fact, this trip has been a comedy of delays, from the three hour delay out of San Antonio while we waited for the other half of the train to arrive from LA (among other things, they were delayed by a freight train being hit by a vehicle), to the re-route around a straight-line wind freight train derailment in western Ohio that took us all over Ohio before finally getting us into Pittsburgh eight hours late.  We left Pittsburgh about half an hour late but arrived in DC on time only to not have our class of car available, but we got two levels upgraded for only $10 more a day (and got the vehicle we really wanted in the first place, which we couldn't have gotten if we'd tried).  We'll see how the rest of the trip goes, but it's been amusing so far.  We planned for things like this to happen when we built the trip, so everything really worked out to our advantage, but other people weren't so happy.
  • We were unsuccessful in finding a laundromat in Falls Church, VA, (the hotel didn't have guest laundry facilities), so we washed out a few things to see us through to the end of the trip last night.  When it was still damp this morning, I was using the iron to get everything as dry as I could before we checked out of the hotel this morning. Mr L, in attempt to dry one of my new bras over a lamp this morning, apologized and showed me the hole that burned into it.  I had to laugh.  The lengths some people will go to to obtain that "Peek-a-boo" look.  Really.
  • I had a lot of trouble with the extended walking this week (my pedometer said we walked 7.5 and 8 miles respectively, so I don't feel quite so bad).  I pulled out a folding cane for yesterday, and that helped a little.  I also remembered to take some Aleve yesterday to augment the Tylenol.
The Week Ahead:
  • Enjoy the rest of the trip (New Orleans)
  • Mow the lawn in SA on Tuesday
  • Head back to Central TX on Wednesday to pick up the kids from boarding (I hope the place is still standing)
  • Mow the lawns in Central TX
  • Begin, in earnest, decluttering in the house
  • Begin teardown on my recumbent bike to determine what parts I need to repair it (Mr L may ask me to wait for him to get back before I do that, so it could be delayed)
  • Establish a walking and riding program to increase my stamina in preparation for our October trip.

1 comment:

SBB said...

Glad your trip was a success. Photos?

Post a Comment