Tuesday, June 14, 2011

331

More of the scene - still more to come; it's maybe 1/3 done. Ish. I wrote 295 words on something else last night, too, so that's a total of 626 words for the day. Creeping up on that 750.

Is it okay that I post this stuff here? If not, I'm happy to stop.

Yesterday's words are below the cut (and you get to see some of what's in the box)


As much as he wished he could drop the box in the refuse bin, there was no help for it. Family was family. "Piss, piss, piss," he muttered as he pulled his penknife from his pocket and cut the string.

He lifted one box flap and his nose wrinkled at the perfumed scent of infant powder. Two kitchen lackeys ran past, nudging each other while carrying trays of dirty breakfast dishes. For one thankful moment the box's scent disappeared beneath the welcome aroma of congealed sausage grease and eggs.

Sighing, Lars opened the box and pulled out a folded letter addressed to Dubric, a pair of embroidered baby socks, and the offending sachet. Other items waited inside, but he pushed the box away and reached for his tea.

"Goddess damn, Hargrove, what the hells are you doing sitting on your ass out here," Serian called out, lumbering around a kitchen maid. "Dubric's got me--"

"I have the morning off," Lars muttered. "Maybe the afternoon, too. Jess and I are picking pastries and mints for the wedding as soon as she finishes her final exam." He frowned and sipped his tea. "Besides, what's Dubric going to do if I take the whole day? Fire me? I've already given notice and am leaving in a couple of phases."

Serian flopped into a chair across the table from Lars and he picked up the pair of socks. Toying with it, he said, "A baby? I thought you and Jess weren't--"

Lars snatched it from Serian's fingers and flung it into the box. "We're not. She's not." He sighed and rubbed his eyes. "Don't you have work to do or something?"

Serian stood. "Yeah. Some dipshit stole Mrs. Hawlins' goat and I gotta find the pegging thing."

Lars looked up and managed a stiff smile. "She just forgets to latch the pen and it wanders off to fill up on fruit. Look over by Mullberry creek, or the orchards west of her house."

3 comments:

Wendy said...

By all means, keep posting! I think we were talking about posting snippets here at one time.

Good job on this section.

Jean said...

Of course it's ok to keep posting. We ALL wanted to know what was in the box (for example).

Now we have other things to wonder about.

Tammy Jones said...

Thank you! {{huggs}}

I didn't write anything last night, but tonight I will. :)

Post a Comment