Sunday, April 7, 2013

Medieval

It's been a busy writing week for me. Besides participating in the Blogging A-Z April Challenge and the National Poetry Writing Month (30 poems in 30 days), I'm also working feverishly on Murder by the Mile and Undying: Poems of Fantasy and Science Fiction. So basically all I've done is write, household chores, upkeep on the various blogs, and try to sleep.

However, I broke routine to attend the Medieval Fair of Norman, Oklahoma, yesterday. Thousands of people attend this annual festival. I've gone several times, but always enjoy it, although I usually I go on Friday, which is less attended. Saturday was people, people, people, and that got me very nervous and freaked. I still had a good time, though, enjoying Scottish music from Brizeus, roasted turkey legs, fresh-squeezed lemonade tart enough to make your eyes waters, tumblers and stilt walkers, Brother Donald the Storyteller, and, of course, looking at all the arts and crafts. A great day.

Next week will be more of this week, without the Medieval Fair, and capped by a writers group meeting Saturday in which I have to give the program.

I hope you have a great week. Oh, in the comments, I'm copying in my seventh poem for NaPoWriMo, inspired by the Medieval Fair and the Scottish music of Brizeus.

Some photos from the Fair:

My friends Matt, his mom Marie, and me.

Chain mail. Incredibly heavy and no use against English archers.

Various decorative items from the Vikings

Wooden shields to be bought and painted. I nearly did, but I have too much to do as it is!

Pendants of copper, bronze, silver, gold, and tin

Brizeus

All sorts of kilts and shirts. I bought a kilt shirt, but no kilt.

4 comments:

SBB said...

Highlands

In the highlands lived a beauteous lass
skin like winter snow, hair radiant red,
lips that curved in an impish grin.

In the highlands lived a handsome lad,
strong of back, eyes as green as the sea,
a smile like the summer sun.

At a gathering called by the High Lord,
they danced the Foursome Reel,
with eyes only for each other's body.

Later that night they crept quietly out
to the meadow with a soft gray blanket
and shared their fiery passion.

"I will love only thee," he declared.
"No one else is there for me," she swore.
Naked bodies intertwined until the dawn.

But he came from the Clan Campbell
while she spring from Clan MacDonald,
no fiercer foes nor feud ever there was.

So the lovers stole away at the dark
of the moon to escape to the coast,
but pursued by warriors of both clans.

Running hand in hand across the meadows,
past the barrows of ancient dread kings,
the lover fled, but the hounds drew closer.

At last the lovers came to a cliff high,
down below the waves crashed.
"Trapped," she cried despairingly.

He drew his sword, swearing
to sell his life dearly for their love,
but then a light appeared.

A blueish white light surrounded
a tall woman, beautiful and bright,
powerful and perilous. She beckoned.

When the warriors and hounds
reached the cliff, they found no one,
only the waves crashed below.

Then they fell to fighting among
themselves until the dawn
and they withdrew, muttering,

blaming the other clan for the loss,
for they believed the lass and lad
had jumped to their deaths.

To this day, the old-timers say,
on certain nights, when the moon is dark,
the lad and lass love and then twirl

while the Wild Folk play music
that entrances any who hear
to join the reel on the cliff high.

(Copyright 2013 by Stephen B. Bagley. All rights reserved. From the forthcoming Undying. No copying without prior permission. Thank you for reading.)

SBB said...

It's best to read this poem while listening to Brizeus's Playford Dances. :)

Jean said...

Nice. I'm glad you made time in your schedule to do something fun. And yay for getting so much writing done. I'm starting this week behind the power curve.

Wendy said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun! It's cool that you have a ren fairre close by.

Great job on the writing too!

Post a Comment