Monday, April 22, 2013

Quick break

I got home from the Kiss And Tell conference last night. Also scheduled in the same hotel was a big gathering of National Guardsmen of various types. Romance writers and men in uniforms in the same hotel? Good thing we're Christian romance writers, most of whom are married! The funniest part is that some of the staff didn't realize the conference was about learning to write romance. They were speculating that we were a bunch of lesbians coming out!

Good stuff:
- I got all the little fiddly details taken care of early in the week--oil change, laundry, etc. That left plenty of time in the middle of the week for beauty shop stuff and packing.
- The ultrasound went well. I got someone more experienced and she was faster and gentler than the gal I had in December.
- The drive both ways was pretty easy. It's about 5 1/2 hours from here to Olive Branch, MS (about 15 minutes south of Memphis).
- The conference itself was the most intense I've ever done. I thought Deep Thinkers was intense since it's 5 days jam packed with craft lessons. Kiss And Tell was on par with Deep Thinkers but crammed into 1 1/2 days. By Saturday night I was THIIIIIIISSSS close to swearing off writing romance forever! A peach daiquiri and a few hours' sleep brought me off the ledge. I also learned I have more endurance than I give myself credit for and should push myself more.
- Since this was the first Kiss And Tell, we were able to give Susie May good feedback to improve the next one.
- Because I was sitting in a classroom all weekend and eating more than I should, I took stairs instead of elevators most of the time. I didn't get winded until the 4th flight, which is an improvement. Judo must be working. I might have to give running another shot now that the weather is warming.

Not So Good Stuff:
- Um, let's see. Oh! The house wasn't spotless when I came home. Not that I expected it to be, but it would have been nice. Yeah, really, I got nothing. It was a pretty darn good week.

This Week:
- Write
- Shift part of my focus to more serious decluttering. I'm not worried about cleaning as such--Merry Maids will be here right before the family comes in 3 weeks, and they're doing all the rooms except our offices. I just need to get stuff out of their way, and that alone might take 3 weeks!
- May Powerpoints for church.
- Clean my desk. It's getting junky again.
- Remember to hit Post when I want to post stuff. That's twice today I've left stuff hanging...

1 comment:

Jean said...

Awesome week. On my last ultrasound, the tech handed me the wand to insert. I thought it was strange at first, then it occurred to me that it made a lot of sense. She did the driving after that, of course. (sorry if that was TMI.)

Post a Comment