Saturday, June 22, 2013

quieter

Good Stuff:
- I got some words in. Not enough to make my weekly goal, but some is better than none. It's a starting point.
- The house is reasonably clean.
- I have a new grand kitten. Vicky and Justin were out and about last night when they saw someone throw a bag out a car window. I don't know yet how they realized there was a black kitten in the bag, but they did and rescued him. No more details so far, although there are pictures on Facebook, and I have suggested they name him Bilbo. :-)
- I've discovered matcha--a Japanese green tea powder. It's taken a bit of experimenting to figure out the best way to drink it because it's hard to get it to fully dissolve and tends to leave a green tea sludge in the bottom of the cup. It has caffeine, but it seems to be gentler than coffee or cola. It helps me think a little better without the crash. The best part is that you drink the powdered tea leaves, not just the water, so there's no waiting for it to steep.

Not So Good Stuff:
- I realized yesterday that I tend to munch my afternoons away. My concentration runs away with my energy between 1:30 and 2, so that's when I usually retreat to the kitchen and TV to await dinner and my second wind. If I'm especially productive during that time, I get laundry folded. I'm at a loss as to why my afternoons  are so low tide, so to speak, but I can't remember a time when it hasn't been this way. Since I'm heavier now than I ever have been (outside of pregnancy, and I've only got 10 lbs before I hit the all-time high), it's time to stop wondering why and start figuring out how to fix it. I'm going to visit the nursing homes in town next week to see if I can come tell stories to the residents once a week. Not only will it get me away from the kitchen in the afternoons, it will give me much-needed practice and an excuse to read and research more stories, which will make Jeff happy.

Holy Canoli Stuff:
- The first of the Boys gets here a week from Monday. He's the only one still on active duty and he wants to burn two weeks' leave in our humble abode. It's great that we're a safe haven for our friends, but I'm not going to get anything done between the visit and the prep. The good news is I don't need to be fully prepped before he comes. I can put him to work the first week. :-) Alex will be here, too, so I'll have all kinds of help around. (Note to self: Find out if Alex wants to take him to Emma's one evening. Her parents were impressed that a skinny Chinese guy could put away so much dessert after Thanksgiving dinner.)

This Week:
- Get the guest rooms ready. Alex will be home next weekend.
- Do the usual 'holy crap company is coming' cleaning, menu planning, shopping list making, etc.
- Visit nursing homes.
- Words. Always with the words.

7 comments:

SBB said...

"Holy crap company is coming" made me laugh. I sort of have that attitude, too.

Congrats on the grand-kitten!

I looked for matcha on Amazon, and sweet land of Goshen, the price is a bit steep, particularly since I don't know if I will like it or not. Our local health food store might have it, but their prices are usually higher than Amazon by a lot. I wonder if I can find a free sample online. I'll have to look. Does it taste good?

I keep trying to take a nap in the afternoon. Around 3. Must be our biorhythms or something like that.

When oh when are we going to hear one of your bard tales, eh?

Wendy said...

I'll leave Eric a note to burn a DVD for me and pop it in the mail. He's supposed to have used his video editing software to break the performance into manageable pieces for me to post online and has not gotten to it yet. Damn grad school, getting in the way of my agenda.

Yeah, matcha is pretty pricey, and alone it tastes like grass. I mix mine with milk and a little honey, or I make a frappuccino by combining ice, milk, matcha powder, a little mint extract and a little squirt of Hershey syrup in the blender. This morning I added a teaspoon to my protein shake and the shake turned green, but I couldn't taste it. If you do find an affordable place online, don't bother with the matcha bowl or bamboo whisk. If you're not doing a traditional Japanese tea ceremony, a soup mug and metal whisk will do the job.

Jean said...

Congratulations on the new grand kitten. I'm saddened by the way some people treat animals. I saw a headline from San Antonio about someone mutilating a cat and hanging it from a treat. Just reading the headline makes me sick to my stomach. No way I could click on the link.

I'm not sure what it is about the afternoon slump, but it's common. Your plan to practice your bard stories at nursing homes sounds like a great way to benefit you and the residents -- and battle the afternoon slump as well.

Good luck with words. It sounds like there's a dearth of them for most of us at the moment for varying reasons.

Wendy said...

BTW, I have more grand kitten details. I lobbied for him to be named Bilbo Baggins, but they decided on Khan Benedict. I know. She's Eric's kid.

Vicky wanted to name him for Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays Khan in the new Star Trek movie. He's also been in a few other things she's seen and may, in her estimation, replace Robert Downey Jr. as The Hotness. TMI? It is for Eric. ;)

Justin wanted to pick a name that wouldn't sound stupid if he yelled it across the room, and by way of example, yelled, "Khaaaaannnnn!!!!"

So she said OK and they compromised, which is why I have a grand kitten who's Grammy nickname will be Eggs. (Benedict. I do love Eggs Benedict.)

SBB said...

I love that name! I can see someone yelling, "Khaaaaaaannnn!" Awesome!

The nickname made me laugh. I've never had Eggs Benedict, though. I guess it's good?

Wendy said...

Oh, yeah, it's good, and I'm not sure why more places don't make it. I haven't tried it myself, so maybe it's more complicated than it seems, but it's more or less an Egg McMuffin with hollandaise sauce. The eggs are poached, so the yolk mixes with the sauce in a rich yummy goodness.

Tammy Jones said...

OMG, I LOVE eggs benedict! I think it's an awesome name for a cat. I'm glad they found him, tho. Some people are just too nasty and cruel.

I hear you on the munching. Tracking has really helped me rein that in. Gotta save points for supper! (Tam says now as she munches on a bowl of pistachios on the last night of vacation before going back 'on plan' ;)

Many many hugs!!

Post a Comment