Saturday, June 29, 2013

Window on the World

Nothing earth-shattering about that title.  Just observing we all have our own little windows on the world, and they are sometimes interesting.

The Good Stuff:
  • Rossie has been interacting more with Mr. L (she won't give me the time of day).  At least, that's what he tells me, and I have no reason to doubt him.  The good news on that is their progress from their time in San Antonio has not been wasted.  Don't misunderstand, this cat is still very reclusive, but she seems to like Mr. L and responds pretty well to him.
  • Sneaky will come upon to the heat pump duct work when Mr. L calls, but she's not quite ready to let him rub her ears.  I think that will come.  I've seen her out and about in the yard more during the day, and I like seeing her there.  Mr. L acknowledges we have nine cats -- he made sure I was willing to acknowledge it, too.
  • I ordered and received a new lower chute for the riding lawn mower this week. I mounted the hardware on it and installed it on the mower this afternoon.  The original one had dropped off a couple of times and caught the edge in the blade, resulting in a hole that directed grass clippings onto my leg as they rose through the chute.  Thankfully, I was able to find the right part on Amazon, and it arrived quickly.
  • We met with the ranch foreman for the new owner of the ranch next to us this morning.  They do plan to replace the fence between our property and theirs.  They didn't want anything from us except to be good neighbors and let us know what their plans were. We discussed a few things, but that was pretty much it.  We're happy to hear they are going to run cattle on the land.  To us, that's the best use of the land.  There have been a few people who have wanted to develop the land out there into other things, and that's not something we're anxious to have happen.  Cattle are good.
  • Began work on filing paperwork and sorting through some already filed paperwork this week. I sent most of my Amazon receipts to the shredder pile.  
  • I have made a conscious effort to snack on more fresh fruit and vegetables this week, but I didn't try the new recipe I was planning to try yet.
  • I designed and implemented a form for FM authors to submit their publication information to be included in a listing Zette will design. It seems to be working well.
The Not So Good Stuff:
  • I feel as if I've been very unproductive for the last several weeks.
  • I had to go back to the dentist for the third time to take new impressions for my crown.  The first time, the lab never got them.  The second time, the lab wasn't happy with them.  We hope the third time is the charm.  I specifically backed up the appointment so I wouldn't be going on vacation with a temporary, and, yes, that's what I'm doing. Luckily, I went in Thursday to get the new impressions done, and when the put the temporary back on, the dentist had to grind it down a little for it to fit right (I guess there must be a little adhesive building up inside the temporary, so it didn't seat the same).  By Thursday night, my tongue had found the sharp spot left on, so I went in first thing Friday morning to get it smoothed out.  This was important, because they are closed next week for vacation, and I'll be gone for the two weeks after that. I know I didn't want to spend three weeks feeling that sharp edge on the temporary crown. (So the good stuff in that, is I won't have to. Another good thing is the dentist is right here in town, so no extra driving to get to him -- unlike my medical doctor who is 40 miles away.)
The Week Ahead:
  • See if I can put together something writing-related to do on the train.  I still love the idea of train as writing retreat, and I want the writing time I do on there to be worthwhile
  • Double check with the vet to make sure I made the reservations for the cats on the 8th (this will pretty much max out her kennels, so, while I'm pretty sure I did, I want to make darned sure--she can make them all fit, but still.).
  • Pay bills before leaving for vacation.
  • Continue working on the paperwork reduction actions.  
  • Yardwork calls.  Of course.
  • Seems like there's something else.  Not sure what.  Oh, well.  Y'all have a great week.

1 comment:

SBB said...

Maybe you could plot your NaNoWriMo on the train. November -- God help us -- isn't that far away.

Nine cats. Hmm. I finally know a cat lady! Another item crossed off my Bucket List. ;)

Where are y'all going on your train trip? Any particular destinations or just vacationing? Post photos of the train compartments and dining rooms and everything! It doesn't look I'll be going anywhere this year, so I'll share your vacation from afar.

Post a Comment