Sunday, September 8, 2013

Money, Money, Money

I felt the generational financial squeeze this week.  Everybody needed a little help on the outgoing end and on the incoming end, I won at bingo.  It didn't offset the outflow, but it helped me feel confident we're doing or did the right thing.

The Good Stuff:
  • I'm redoing my Sweet Spot Map (Lesson 2 in How To Think Sideways) in preparation for NaNo
  • I did a little decluttering (not nearly enough, but a little was better than none)
  • After the mild griping last week, after hearing Mr. L move a few things around in the den upstairs and after he left to go to the shop, I went upstairs, noted the cleaned out space where he wanted one of my bookshelves moved to, and I moved the bookshelf to its new location. In the process of moving the contents, I found a few things to throw away, a few things to move to another location, and put most things back on the shelf in a slightly different arrangement.  I did not do what Mr. L suggested I do (make everything uniform and labeled), but I did clear out some stuff that wasn't needed anymore.  I didn't feel too bad in the process of doing it, either.
  • I've felt more like wearing my shirts tucked in this week.  I'm not sure why.  I'm not any lighter than I was.  I'm not any leaner than I was.  I have only been recording my "healthy"-type foods in the Lose-It! app.  I'm not sure if it's good or not, but it doesn't seem to be bad.
  • One troubling family concern was addressed when my sister-in-law gave an update on some family status this week, and it turns out all is well. (I can provide more detailed information off-line about family issues if you'd like to know, but I don't think it's wise to discuss on a public forum.)
  • Mr L is gearing up for the annual trek to PA.
The Not So Good Stuff:
  • I don't know if this is not so good or not, but I don't have any good news on my sister's employment status yet.
  • I didn't make any progress on PBOTL this week
  • The next month or two will be travel-taxing.  Lots of time on the road -- visit the kids, to SA to work on stuff down there, the annual trek to PA, and, when we get back, a long trek to SA.  It's a mixed bag on what I'm looking forward to and what I'm not.
The Week Ahead:
  • Mr L wants to work at the ranch at least one day this week.  We'll see if that materializes
  • Continue work on How To Think Sideways and NaNo Prep
  • Resume work on PBOTL
  • Weekend in Dallas
  • Make a little decluttering progress
  • Continue efforts to eat more fresh fruit and see if I can find more ways to snack on veggies.

7 comments:

Wendy said...

If you come up with veggie snacks, please share. I'm looking for ways to get more raw veggies into my body. Good luck with the travel. I feel your mixed emotions there!

Wendy said...

Looks like it's just the two of us now. Well, you, me and the crickets...

Tammy Jones said...

Not entirely. I'm reading along, just trying to get a final proofread done before I send SPORE out. {{hugs}}

SBB said...

I like to eat veggies with hummus. I can eat a whole bag of little carrots if I'm not careful. The carbs aren't bad, but that's a heck of a lot of fiber. Upsets my stomach.

I also like to dip veggies in mustard. You can mix in honey in the mustard if you like or your favorite sweetener. And there are a lot of low calorie, low carb ranch dressings out there now. Good dipping.

Tammy Jones said...

Your posts always make me feel both exhausted and lazy. I don't know how you manage two houses plus other properties plus all the other things you do!

Glad to know there's been a measure of good news on the family front. If you'd like to share, I'm always happy to listen. {{hugs}}

I tend to prefer cooked veggies, usually (although I have on occasion over indulged in red pepper strips - YUM!!) and I've been roasting a lot of them lately. Cauliflower, broccoli, beets, kale... I even ran into a recipe for roasted spinach chips the other day I'm wanting to try since Kale chips are such a hit around here. http://divascancook.com/2013/02/italian-herb-baked-spinach-chips-recipe.html

Jean said...

Tammy, there's a lot not getting done. :)

Wendy, I shared my Evernote Recipes folder to you -- I think. I also tried emailing you a recipe before I decided to just share the folder. Let me know know both those efforts worked (I used the yahoo address). There's a broccoli crunch, a spaghetti squash au gratin, a vegetable tian, and the baked zucchini "pizza" recipe that I think would be of particular interest. I haven't tried the first two yet, but the baked zucchini pizza is wonderful. Vegetable tian is pretty good -- I think I needed to refine a few things, but it will be worth trying again. All of these require some baking, so they aren't really raw.

Jean said...

I went ahead and shared the folder out to all of you. I haven't tried everything in that folder. Some things are "maybe someday I'll try this."
I think I need to make subfolders -- that one's getting a little large.

Post a Comment