Sunday, September 29, 2013

More worn, but resting up

Church. Lunch. Nap. Suddenly it's time to start dinner. That about rounds out my Sunday.

Good Stuff:
- Games Season is officially over! We got through the St. Louis Games yesterday with a few more hiccups than we had last year. After the Games, a bunch of us met at a favorite watering hole, scored the last table on the patio (the ones in the AC being reserved already), and toasted the end of the season. The funny part is most of us met at the beginning of Games Season. We've become good friends over the last 5 months.
- I got to hug many necks yesterday.
- Two of my friends may become licensed Highland Dance instructors by Thanksgiving. They tested last week and the judges indicated to their teacher that they'd done well. Apparently, the process is lengthy and intense. They've been studying for two years.
- In addition to Eric's offer letter, we've secured a real estate agent for the Chicago end. A friend/realtor from church is supposed to come look at the house sometime this week. Needless to say, I have some cleaning to do in preparation for her visit, and I'm sure she'll have a long list of things for me to do to get ready to sell.
- While I'm not looking forward to the whole house selling process, I am grateful to be done with my  mothering days this time. At least I won't have to pick up toys, coral kids, and rush out of the house with an hour's notice this time.
- Did I mention Games Season is over? Did I sound relieved? I love Games Season, except for the St Louis Games. I don't want to be on a Games board again. I have enough work with the clan tent.
- On a totally unrelated note, I froze the corn I brought back from Michigan, and I got the tomatoes peeled. They're simmering into soup for dinner as I type.
- Jeff returned my King Or Country manuscript, having also passed it through another mutual friend. They have some great suggestions and I'm a little itchy to get started on it as soon as I finish the current WIP. I've made a mental note to make them my beta readers.
- Jeff suggested that if I want to supplement our income with story telling, the best place to start is with the libraries. It's a wee bit early to do that now, but it will go on my to do list for the Spring, after we get settled and I figure out where the libraries are in an easy travel radius. Apparently I've progressed enough that I won't disgrace myself or the bardic tradition because he didn't say we'd talk about it later. ;-)

Not Sure, But I Think It's Good:
- An alarming number of people have accused me of leaving them for my husband in the last two days. Most were only half joking. I'm glad to know I'll be missed and welcomed back when I visit, but jeesh, I don't do THAT much around here!


Not So Good Stuff:
- I didn't manage to hornswaggle anyone to take over my chair for the St Louis Games. Yet. I have some people to talk to. If push comes to shove, I can do just about everything by e-mail, but it would be better to have someone here who will attend the meetings. I had to drive an hour one way to attend them from here; I'm not driving 5 hours one way.
- My alarm didn't go off yesterday morning, so we were rushed getting out the door and I left my flask home. Pity. I have a lovely Glenmorangie in it. Highland Scotch is my friend.
- I had an issue with another board member yesterday. He moved my tents twice, leaving them unstaked. Turns out he had a good reason (the fire marshall needed more space between sections, but he could have restaked them), but I was really angry yesterday when I found them yesterday morning, and I was pretty ugly to him. I did apologize at the end of the day, and he was gracious but man, at the time, I was wishing I had steel toe boots on. My saving grace was that my sword teacher was on site with his flask. ;-) I adore my Scottish friends.
- I was so busy yesterday I didn't have time to fence. I barely had time to watch a bit of fencing.
- I got enough words in last week for one day. That's it. That could account for a bit of my crankiness yesterday. I did try to write, but between prep for the weekend and early logistics planning for the move, I couldn't concentrate.

This Week:
- Write. For the good of humanity and my own sanity (hey, it rhymes!), I must get words down, even if they suck.
- Cleaning/sorting/packing/staging.
- Pack a bag. We're leaving next Sunday for Chicago. Eric will start his job. I'll be meeting with the realtor and getting the lay of the land. The cat sitter is already lined up.
- Continue to curtail spending for the near future. He won't get a paycheck for a few weeks.

4 comments:

Tammy Jones said...

On the Games, can you simply tell everyone (at the meeting) that you're moving and can no longer perform your duties, so please appoint or elect someone to fill your chair? Basically make it the group's 'problem' instead of yours? With a house sale, new job, and an interstate move on your plate, I'd say you're PLENTY busy with higher priority things.

{{hugs}}

Super congrats on the job and finding a Realtor and your Betas!! Great pre-readers are the BEST!! so glad things are falling into place for you! {{hugs}}

Jean said...

I'm with Tammy on letting the Games folks know you're moving and will be unable to continue in your position. It's called resigning. You could offer email and/or telephone support for whomever replaces you, but that may be more of a pain than it's worth.

Best of luck on your house hunting. The Chicago area has a lot to offer (in addition to being the current Murder Capital of the US thanks to the rest of the US for still allowing people to own guns /sarcasm).

Wendy said...

Several of the board members know I'm leaving. Some have seen it on Facebook and others I told in person. I was planning to help whoever takes the job with the paperwork. That's really a good 80% of the job. The rest is meetings and Games Day stuff. I want to help them find someone who's going to give a crap about getting quality people, and who will treat my people right. I have time to get it figured out. We're done until about March, when the meetings will start up again.

Wendy said...

Jean, we had an incident last week that proved concealed carry works. 3 young men tried to mug to joggers in a park about 11 p.m. Turns out the male jogger was an off duty cop who had his service weapon on him. He shot one of them; the other two were caught running away. His chief said that he wasn't surprised the cop was jogging at that time of night because cops work rotating schedules and are required to stay in shape, nor was he surprised that he had his weapon. The DA has stepped up and charged the two muggers with 2nd degree murder. So refreshing to get stories like that out of Liberalville.

Post a Comment