Saturday, May 31, 2014

Stress, worry, and the blues

I am doing better today. I think it's because yesterday, in the midst of feeling like a mess, I made time for ME. I've also tried to do some thinking on various things, starting with why and how I lost the spark I had a year ago.

May of last year:
  • I was at my lowest weight since high school, maybe even *during* high school. 
  • I was walking and exercising daily (sometimes several times a day) in training for a 5k.
  • I was writing daily.
  • I was (generally) upbeat and focused.
  • I had a Career Plan
  • My house was tidy. Well, as tidy as a house can be with a 18 mo old. ;)
  • Meals were planned, food was stocked, and our greatest grocery expense was fresh stuff.
  • Bill and I were going on regular 'dates'.
  • So forth, and so on.


But, at the end of May and early June of last year:
  • The Millionaire Maker Agent and I parted ways, sending me back to querying after spending 9 months waiting on him and his circular changes to SPORE
  • Money became tight
  • Perimenopause really kicked in, hormonally speaking
  • My sewing machine started acting up
  • Laura found stable employment
  • I got depressed, stressed, and worried, writing dried up, weight started to climb, etc.


As I pondered the how and why and whatnot of the events, I realized a couple of things. First and foremost, I lost Tammy Time, mostly due to being the main parent on deck with LittleMiss. I'm not blaming her - or Laura - for this, just noting that I wasn't aware of the change when it happened.

The other issue was the kicked-in-the-gut sensation from having to start back at the beginning again in trying to sell SPORE. I'd, mostly, had forward movement before with my writing, slow perhaps, or a few steps to a side, but diligent, methodical progress when I worked it. What these two life events did (or rather my reaction to them, to be honest) was to withdraw, as I always do being an avoidant kind of gal. I cut back on exercising, let my sewing machine (my normal mode of personal 'therapy') sit idle and broken, I became a casual tracker and exerciser, and pretty much stopped writing completely, except for query letters which, let's face it, are customized form letters. In short, I stopped making time for ME, stopped making ME any sort of priority and consistently put ME last. Everyone and everything else in my life was more important. I was at the bottom of the stack and didn't matter, not even to myself.

Last week I had a very, very bad reaction to a medication, or perhaps it was a severe hormonal flux. Whatever it was, it was terrifying and awful. Scared me. Scared me bad. In part, because I had ZERO CONTROL over what I was doing/thinking/feeling, no matter how I tried to lock it down, but also because while everyone I reached for wanted to help me, no one really listened to me. After the mess faded away, I realized that's because I wasn't really speaking for myself anymore. I was doing all those things I was supposed to do, acting and speaking and sometimes thinking how I was supposed to act and speak and think because I believed it was expected of me. I believed it was what everyone else wanted, that my truth didn't matter. Ultimately, tho, it wasn't anyone else's fault or decision or insistence, it was mine and mine alone. I am surrounded by a lot of really supportive people and I did all of this to myself. Because, somehow, I convinced myself that I didn't matter.

I had a bit of a rant yesterday as I worked through some of these realizations. I still feel really bombarded, but I do know it's - mostly - myself, not all the outside crap I want to blame it on.

Yesterday, after Laura got home from work, I told her straight up I'm off duty. I have my own stuff I need to do now. And I did it. Sure, it was mostly housework, but I also worked on book notes and just sat and had a quiet glass of Crystal Lite. After Bill got home, I told him I was gonna screw off online then write after everyone else went to bed. I haven't really done that in a long, long time. And I did. I roughly outlined the plot-point placement of major events for STAIN OF CORRUPTION and decided how best to make it all work. Took me until about 1 am, but it's done, and I'm thankful.

Today I've decided I don't want to mess with potty training. LittleMiss goes to her dad's tomorrow, I'd rather just enjoy her and let her play today. So we've done that. I've made a few more book notes, read a ton of stuff on assorted subjects online, offered FB friendship to quite a few fans, and I've had music playing all day.

It's been great. Tomorrow, I sew and write. That's it.

Tomorrow is Tammy Day. And it's about time. {{hugs}}

4 comments:

Jean said...

Good analysis. Remember, taking care of you first is what allows you to do what you want or need to do for others. I think you're on the right track with this.

Tammy Jones said...

Thanks, Jean. {{hugs}}

And thanks for enduring me lately. {{more huggs}}

Jean said...

:D Nothing to "endure" on my end. Always hate to a see a loved one suffering, though.

Wendy said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. In the long run, though, I think passing Little Miss off to Laura when she gets home will have more benefits than just Tammy Time (which is very important, BTW). You'll get your break, and Laura will get more of a real single mom experience. Not that she doesn't now, but she's got you and Bill for back-up.

In case no one has told you today, you matter. A lot. You're a bubbly vibrant soul, and I'm blessed to know you. Forget the issues. We all have issues.

Post a Comment