Saturday, November 26, 2011

Week 46

This year is screaming fast coming to an end.  I think I say that every year though -- since I turned 18 or 20 at least.  Before then, years crawled by slower than tree sap running down a tree on a cold day.  I could not wait for time to pass until I could move on to the next thing.  I'm not looking to turn time back, but I'm still trying to savor the moments.  I'm better at it than I used to be, but I have a lot of room for improvement.

For what it's worth, OPTION - B opens a duplicate Firefox window.  I meant to turn on bold via keystroke, but I'm still getting my dvorak and qwerty keys mixed up -- even though I'm typing in qwerty mode at the moment (The "B" keys are right next to each other). 


Granite Hill is complete in first draft at 52,700+ words.  Which, of course, means NaNo is won.  I need to find Polar Bear on the Loose and my "How to Revise Your Novel" texts and get back to work on that now.  I feel good about the memoir and response format of Granite Hill (the name will probably have to change, since I could get a Granite Hill series out of this).  I have no idea if there's a market for this sort of thing.  The memoir is two-fold.  Danny's son  (Dickie) relates the story of his father's transformation and how his father became his hero.  I wrote Dickie's version first.  Then I wrote Danny's chapters (alternating chapters from Dickie to Danny) as if he were reading Dickie's version and commenting on it.

Web Stuff  I haven't done more than the bare minimum of web work this week. 
- I paid for the Artisteer update to get the latest version (my version wouldn't validate anymore, since I was on the demo Mac version licensed off my Windows version, and that demo period expired).  I did that in preparation for modifying my blog template.  
- I set up a Scrivener project called 750words to begin in January.  I'm not sure I'm going to like it, but I'll give it a try and see what I can do with it.  I haven't found any other software that will do any better yet.
- I'm going to need to figure out how to transfer one of my domains to someone else sometime next year.  That should be educational.


Pets
- Lady is still enamored with all things writing instrument, and really, anything she can carry in her mouth.  Which is a surprising array of items.  I joked with hubby that he better keep an eye on his anvil (we were watching "The Music Man" at the time).  I know I don't want her jumping onto the bed with it in the middle of the night.
- Tarzan might be starting to grow into his ears.  At least, he seems to be bulking up a little.
- Natasha is entering winter mode -- just get me to a place where I'm warm (currently, my shred box beside the desk or next to me, holding down the covers and locking me into bed at night).
- Millie is not happy that I'm mostly closing her garage door and forcing her to take shelter on the porch (she has a dog house there).  She does like that I bring her in for a couple hours in the evening a couple of days a week.  So far, she's behaving really well.

Property
- I cut up the tree limb (really half a tree) that fell down a month or so ago over at the store building yesterday
- I trimmed the "island" in front of the house today
- I've been doing odd things here and there around the house.  I've finally decided that hubby complains if I move something, and he complains if I don't move something.  This means he's going to be looking for a lot more items and using me for his excuse for not being able to find things (since it's my fault no matter what -- he'll deny that, but when he gripes that he can never find anything because it gets moved, I can only presume he doesn't necessarily mean he's moved it and can't find it -- but it could, so maybe that's that problem).  He also complains that I am not putting stuff away (and I'm not, because he complains that things disappear).  Yes, we're in one of those unpleasant loops.  Is it this impossible to live with other people, or is it just me who finds it that way? (For what it's worth, I have always had trouble residing in the same dwelling with other people -- that's not hubby's fault.  It's entirely my freaky quirk. He deals with it remarkably well.)

Health
- I showed a half pound loss this morning.  Success for maintenance.  I'd really like to lose the ten pounds I gained over the last month and a half, but the plan is to get back on that wagon in January.  I'm just sayin'; it wouldn't break my heart to get a head start of the process.
- I rode the recumbent bike three days this week, and that felt good.  One way I keep boredom at bay is to put Endless Ocean into the Wii and wander through.  It's so hard to line the cursor up to manage controls for any other program, but for Endless Ocean, you spend a lot of time meandering through the ocean as a scuba diver.  It's a pain when the motion of riding makes it difficult to hone in on the item I need to click (I should see if there are any adaptive measures I can set up to make that easier...hmmm), but the time flies by on the bike.

Other
On a side note, I'll be taking a look at the 25 thought-provoking questions on this site (http://www.myrandomstuff.se/?p=1565) over the next month or so as I try to gather my thoughts for the new year.

4 comments:

Tammy Jones said...

It all sounds pretty good, Jean. Super congrats on winning Nano!! Woot!!

I think it might simply be miscommunication. Bill and I get into a similar loop sometimes, and, really, it boils down to he grumbles about something and I *assume* it's because I screwed up, so I get feeling defensive and over compensate which tends to clash with whatever he was doing on his end to fix the problem (and, truly, finding things or having too much stuff around is pretty universal grumble fodder) and round and round we go.

So try not to let it bother you. ;)

{{huggs}

Jean said...

I have been taking it personally. There's only two of us in this house, so if he's complaining something has moved and he didn't know about it, I presume he's blaming me for moving it. In reality, he's probably just grumbling.

And, having stuff still sitting around that he wants out of where it's at but he hasn't moved, contributes to the grumbliness. I'm going to try to start maneuvering some stuff to get rid of the clutter that's annoying to him, and, frankly, to me, too.

Wendy said...

I just read through the 25 Things list. At the bottom was an ad for Schwan's Home Delivery. I'm not sure why it made me laugh.

FWIW, my dad loses stuff in his house all the time, and he gets annoyed if someone else finds it. Part of the problem could be that you both lived alone for many years. Getting rid of clutter should help. (Now if I could get that through to my dad!)

SBB said...

Wonderful that you won Nano, Jean, but I knew y'all would. And trying to keep up with you kept me motivated. So thanks!

Maybe you got gremlins in your house moving things. It happens. According to Ghost Hunters.

Post a Comment