Sunday, June 3, 2012

Nearly halfway

Eeek! The year is nearly halfway over. Normally at this time, I look at the goals I set at the first of year and evaluate how I've done. I will not do that this time. I don't need the discouragement. Instead, I'm going to list what I've completed so far.

- Kept (mostly) to my low carb diet.
- Designed and published my writers group's first anthology, Creations 2012.
- Published the family newsletter monthly.
- Designed and sold 15 different birthday card designs.
- Walked at the gym most weeks except when illness interfered.
- Fought the black dog and mostly won the battles. That's a day-to-day thing sometimes.
- Mostly kept my blog going. Missed some days in there, but slowly catching up.
- Lost weight and inches. This should really be up there with the diet, but since the diet was mostly aimed in keeping my blood sugar under control, I thought it deserved a place of its own.
- Designed and published four photo books for various people. I actually printed these and put them together myself. Yes, it's easier online, but I wanted to learn, and let's be honest, I do have a lot of time to fill.
- Kept my house in order and uncluttered the back bedroom so that it's actually a guest bedroom and not a junk room. I have a few more things to do back there -- I need to do more uncluttering, and I want to paint it -- but overall, it looks good.

Overall, it's not been bad. Bad moments, such as the loss of my Uncle Terry and my good friend Mary Bratton, but good moments, too.

Now let's look at what's ahead.

My plans:

- I've started a course "Building Great Sentences: Exploring the Writer's Craft" and "The Joy of Mathematics" offered by The Great Courses from The Teaching Company. The first to help my skills as a writer and the second because I've always to learn math, really know it. I have a couple more I'm interested in, but I'm going to finish these two before starting any more. They take a surprising amount of time.
- Continue on the low carb diet.
- Continue to exercise and be more faithful.
- Fight the black dog until it surrenders or at least signs a truce.
- Continue to declutter my life and my house.
- Finish On Target, my friend's book that I'm compiling, designing, editing, and publishing.
- Finish and publish my book Murder by the Mile.
- Finish and publish Tales from Bethlehem, my first Christian book.

This week:
- Walk at the gym three times and try for four.
- Continue the low carb diet.
- Work on On Target.
- Attend the Creations 2012 book signing this Thursday and sell some of my books there, too!
- Write a few words -- just words, dang it -- on Murder by the Mile.
- Fight the black dog relentlessly.
- Working on having faith in anything. There are good things in this world. I have to find them in my ordinary world and make them part of my life.

Anyway, we now return you to your regularly scheduled blog. Have a great week.

Oh, before I go, this photo was wandering around Facebook. I like it.

9 comments:

Jean said...

I like that writing "poster," too.

My plan is to re-evaluate my diet and activities and look for ways I can do better.

You mentioned how nice it would be if I lived closer so we could work out together. Maybe we could virtually work out a comparable number of days and compete/encourage one another to meet our specific goals.

For instance, this week, you want to work our for three and try for four. That sounds pretty reasonable, but that "try for" part can be difficult. Maybe we can help one another achieve that?

Wendy said...

Stephen, under the circumstances I think you have been doing extraordinarily well. You could have given into despair and blamed the world dozens of time, but you haven't. You've kept your head up and plowed through it.

I think you and Jean as virtual work-out partners is a good idea and could be mutually beneficial. Maybe you touch base online or by phone before or after working out.

If you have a cell phone, I could text nag you if that would help. I'm a pretty good pesterer, as I'm sure you've noticed. It's really no trouble to send you a text at a pre-determined time to remind you to go to the gym. Or go for a walk. Or drop and give me 20! Right now!!!! :)

Wendy said...

BTW, can you put aside a copy of Creations 2012 for me and get the other authors to sign it? Do it after the signing so you don't run short on my account! I can drop you a check for the book and shipping. Or would it be easier if I order a copy and have it sent to you to be signed?

SBB said...

Jean, I appreciate your support! What I miss is someone to talk to when I walk. Makes the task not so hard. When people were walking with me, I looked forward to the walk, so it made it easier for me to go out there. I wish I had more minutes on my cell phone -- I have a very cheap plan without a lot of minutes -- and maybe I could talk to one of you while I walk and exercise. But I don't.

Wendy, yes, I have a copy of Creations 2012 for you. I'll get the other writers to sign it Thursday. My pleasure! And thanks for the support and encouragement.

Y'all are awesome! :)

Jean said...

Oh, rats! Wish I'd thought to have you hang onto my copy and have you do that!

Jean said...

Oh,I see. Yes, the talking would make a difference. :(

Tammy Jones said...

You've accomplished a LOT!! I know it's been hard, but your list is exhausting to read!

{{huggs}}

Love the pic, btw. I've posted it on Pinterest. :)

SBB said...

Thanks, Tammy! I appreciate your support and digital hugs.

Ah ... not to nag, but when do I get to read more of Spore? :)

Tammy Jones said...

lol When there's more to read. I'm in the midst of 'post cemetery visit upheaval' right now, and it's really rough.

Post a Comment