Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Late but here

I should have done this Sunday or even Monday, but I caught a cold ... or something nasty ... and it sucked all my energy away. I've done nothing except work on Murder by the Mile the past couple of days and not much of that. But one of my resolutions was to work on it daily, even if it was just a bit, and I've done that.

Last week:
- Household chores. I'm supposed to have guests this weekend and next weekend, and as a result, my house has stayed in a state of hyper clean. Well, hyper clean for my house. I'll be glad when I can let things slip a bit.
- Worked on MBTM every single day. A couple of days, I was very productive. Cutting the words that I have has really helped the story. I'm excited about writing it again, but ... well, hard to make myself put my butt in the chair. Which is funny since I just did an online presentation for a writing group in which I said Discipline is the most important thing. Do as I say; not as I do. Still, I did work on it every single day. Scenes are being written, paragraphs are being edited. Word by word, sentence by sentence, it's going to lead me to a book this year.
- Had a video chat with Jean. I really enjoyed it. Apparently more than she did. :) I liked seeing her face while we spoke. Facial expressions add a lot to a conversation, I think. She has a marvelous laugh.
- Took down the outside Christmas decorations and some of the inside. Since grandkids will be arriving next week, the tree, village, nativity, and train are still out. But Sunday afternoon, Jan. 27th, I'm putting Christmas up. But maybe not the train. Yeah, not the train. I like the train.
- Also took down the decorations on my bookcase at the store downtown that's selling the Many Rivers Harbor books and put up some generic decorations. I'll have to take a photo sometime and share it.
- Had my first meeting as president of the writing group. It went well. I had an agenda that I shared with everyone and made sure I asked for plenty of input on everything we discussed. I also had them vote a lot, but I want to increase their participation and take personal responsibility for our projects.

This week:
- Continue to work on MBTM every day.
- Keep house clean.
- Get well.
- Guests on Friday and Saturday.
- Rest on Sunday.

And that's it for now.


5 comments:

Wendy said...

You're right, Jean has a great laugh.

I know you love Christmas. I love it too. But how you're still living with decorations I don't know. That reminds me of a story I saw on the news a year or two ago. This guy in St Louis leaves his tree up all year. Never takes it down. He says he loves Christmas and can't see a reason to.

Feel better soon. BTW, Val Comer shared a recipe for home made cough suppressant using honey, lemon, and ginger. It's on my wall if you want to check it out.

SBB said...

The tree is in a corner, the village on top of the entertainment center, the nativity in another corner, the train on the coffee table. Mostly out of the way. The tree does block the sliding glass door to the back yard, but we just go through the garage. And I don't go to the backyard that much anyway. So I'm not stumbling over anything.

I knew a guy in my hometown who put up 20 trees in October and took them down in March. He taught school with my sister. When he was young, his family was very poor and they never had a tree and never really had Christmas. So he decided he would always have a tree, several even, and his wife and children were on board. Those trees were awesome. They all had a theme. I remember one with bubble lights, and naturally one that had a train that circled it. Quite cool. I might leave up the village all year if I had room, but I don't. Probably not the tree, though.

Yes, Val shared that on my page, also. I already used it, except for the ginger.

Tammy Jones said...

Sounds like a good, productive week, overall, and I'm glad to hear it!!

What was the best part of being the writing group president, and what seems to be the toughest, at least so far, or most unexpected?

{{huggs}}

SBB said...

Thanks, Tammy!

Well, I guess the best thing is that they seem eager for me to organize the meetings. Nothing unexpected so far, although I was somewhat surprised at how they took to the printed agendas. I told them it was only so that we could stay on track and talk about and vote on everything we needed to, but they were more rigid than I was in following it. I don't want the group to become unyielding, but we had wandered a bit in prior meetings. They also really seemed eager to discuss writing instead of personal matters, which was gratifying.

Jean said...

hahaha. ;) I've only done a total of four hangouts now, and they were all one on one. At this point, it's the only thing I still like about Google+.

As for the writers' group, it sounds like they're anxious for leadership, and you sound like you're providing it. Most people detest meetings that meander, so the printed agenda is a great way to help everyone stay together and make the meeting productive. If the meeting stays on time, there will be plenty of opportunity to informally hang out and discuss personal matters after the meeting is over for those who want to -- or they (you) can head out to a different social venue to continue those discussions. And, of course, getting their input into what's discussed gives everyone a voice. Good job.

Post a Comment