Sunday, January 6, 2013

Old Days New

Hubby's been sick all week. I woke up Friday morning with a a sore throat -- how his started.  Just what I wanted before a four hour drive.  Three hours straight north and one hour east.  I had to stop at Fort Hood to pick up prescriptions, so I couldn't take the hypotenuse. 

Taking the hypotenuse is a phrase I picked up from a co-worker back in 1985 when he was taking a college algebra class.  We were walking into work one night, and he decided to walk up the handicapped ramp, which was shaped like a triangle, and he said, "I'm going to take the hypotenuse."  I've been saying that for taking the shortest distance between two points ever since.

The Good Stuff:
    •    I tracked points all week.  Don't ask.  It was horrendous, but I still lost weight -- probably dehydration. 
    •    All kitties made the transition back to Central TX.  For now, I've set up a single crate in the parlor and am having kittens out and about in the parlor and kitchen as much of the day as possible, just tucking them into the crate at night.  They are doing well with this setup.
    •    My heart is warmed!  I just saw Little Orange.  For the first time since I had her spayed, I'm seeing both orange kitties together, so I know she's okay.  What a relief! (Little Orange and Peaches look a lot alike -- I'm sure I've seen her before and mistaken her for Peaches)
    •    I got more than a very little done on PBOTL this week, but that's not saying much.
    •    I've read every day.  I finished The Federalist Papers (I was reading them via email from The Daily Lit -- a good resource for classics and the like).  I've been reading My Bondage and My Freedom by Frederick Douglass on Sunday mornings.  I just signed up for Alexis de Toqueville's, Democracy in America, Part 1.
    •    Rossie is out and trying to play more.  She's chasing her tail now (until she sees me watching her).

The Not So Good Stuff
:
    •    Both hubby and I are sick this weekend.  That's not a pretty sight.  No, nothing unpleasant on the disgusting side.  It's a head and chest cold that, on me, feels like it ranges from the heart to the ears and everything in between.  We're both kind of stumbling around like zombies saying, "I can't focus on anything."
    •    My goal was five pages or 500 words on PBOTL per day.  My current pace is more like 100 words or one page a day.  And I didn't get anything the last two days due to transitioning and being sick.  I'm going to need to improve on that.
    •    My grandmother is not happy in her new living arrangement, but she'd reached the point where Mom couldn't take care of her anymore, and she won't do her physical therapy, which may have helped eventually.  Or not, but it would give her something to do.
    •    I know I'm running a temperature but have misplaced my thermometer here in Central TX.  It's a low-grade fever, so maybe that's not a big deal.  Just one more thing I can't find.  Couple that with hubby's constantly losing things that he simply must find NOW, and it's an annoyance.
    •    Rossie is so jumpy and hesitant.  This is one unconfident kitty.  I don't know how to or if I even can help her.
    •    Didn't get on the bike this week, because we delayed a day returning from SA, and, of course, illness.

The Week Ahead:
    •    Shake this cold by getting plenty of rest and drinking plenty of water.
    •    Work on PBOTL
    •    Read and do morning pages
    •    Ride the bike at least twice
    •    Putter around the house getting caught up on some little things.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

They hypotenuse makes perfect sense to me. Feel better! I'm sure you'll rest a little easier with all the kitties accounted for.

Jean said...

I did a little research on unconfident kitties, and what I came up with is I can't let Rossie isolate herself. So, starting today, I drag her out of her carrier more and hold her. I held her earlier this afternoon, and a little while ago, I put on a zip front sweatshirt. Perfect for cradling a kitty. She's sleeping inside my sweatshirt now and had been quite peaceful and purring for some time.

SBB said...

Love the hypotenuse expression. Will have to steal it. :)

Sorry you're sick. Let me recommend Airborne to you, too.

I think it's awesome that your heart is so big. Lots of people wouldn't care about the wild kitties the way you have. You're good people.

Your reading material is a bit ... dry, maybe? It's no wonder I'm reading more than you. I'm reading popular fiction.

Post a Comment