Saturday, February 16, 2013

Getting Ready

I leave Thursday morning for Huntsville AL en route to Destin FL. Between us, I've looked at the forecast for here next week, and I'm glad I'll be there! The only regret is that Eric will have to tough it out all alone. Well, him and the cats.

Good Stuff:
- Got a little work done on King Or Country. The main points are a little clearer, so hopefully I'll be able to cut the fluff.
- The last of our cabinets came in yesterday. The installer is hoping to get them in Monday. I'm hoping for that, too. It still won't be done until March (yeah, I know, that's only 2 weeks away) because it will be at work stoppage while I'm away, but if the cabinets go in Monday, we might get the last section of counter templated before I go, and I'll schedule the install for when I'm back. Even so, we're looking at quite a bit of change in about 2 months, which is less painful than I expected it to be.
- Did a fair amount of house cleaning in areas that usually don't get much attention.
- Eric's Dad and stepmom have bought airlines tickets to come out here for Eric's graduation in May. This is huge. He and his dad are mending fences, and Eric was disappointed that his dad wasn't here for the last graduation. Now I just have to figure out where to put everyone since my parents are coming, too! It's a good problem to have.
- Started packing for my trip. Yup, I'm excited.
- Printed a bunch of recipes to try so I have no excuse for not cooking. Eric asked me if I wanted to go for breakfast this morning and I said, "Oh, yeah, 'cause we never eat out anymore. How about I make us some omelets?" So I did. I'm cooking dinner tonight, too.

Not So Good Stuff:
- I don't see it in the last couple of updates, but I broke down and bought new jeans. I hope to not wear them too awfully long. Certainly I hope to be back in the smaller size by the time Eric graduates. FWIW, Target has several different cuts of women's jeans now with a big poster about the different fits. It helped a lot, and they're reasonably priced, so I'm not stressing about it.
- One of the Scottish societies we belong to has had a serious drop in membership. A new board was elected a few months ago, and I volunteered to do the newsletter, but getting input has not been easy. It doesn't help that we've basically been combing through the ashes of what's left and salvaging what we can. I'm trying to be patient, but it's a service organization and in the year we've belonged to it, we've done no service. Everyone has talked a big game, but there's been no walking the walk. Our membership is paid through fall, I think, so that's the amount of time they have to get it together as far as I'm concerned.

This Week:
- Pack.
- Prep food for Eric so he eats healthier while I'm away.
- Clean out the car. Maybe get it washed if the weather cooperates.
- Get more house cleaning done.
- FINALLY get the rest of the kitchen put together.

4 comments:

Tammy Jones said...

Sounds like a lot of good stuff, Wendy! {{huggs}} on the group, and I hope they get their act together soon.

Congrats on the nearly finished kitchen and have a FABULOUS trip to Florida!! Woot!

Jean said...

Lots of good stuff. Lucky Eric for getting easy to manage meals while you're gone.

Family stuff is hard sometimes. Finances play a role in some of that. I was disappointed my parents weren't able to come to my commissioning. I didn't know at the time that my dad was about to be laid off, and he couldn't afford to be away.

Wendy said...

Jean, Eric is getting easy to manage meals because otherwise he'll either eat junk food or fast while I'm away. Last time I went to this retreat he fasted 3 of the 6 days I was away. He's really overburdened right now with his classes, so neither is a good option.

There have been issues between Eric and his dad since we've been together. Lots of baggage from him childhood which he's worked hard to come to terms with. Going to his dad's wedding last spring went a long way toward mending those fences, so the fact that they want to come and spend several days with us at our house is so encouraging.

SBB said...

I worried that my writing group would take a dive in membership when I took over, but so far, so good. We've even gained two members. I'm grateful. I'd hate to be president to a dying group.

I've noticed people like to talk a big game, but they don't follow through. Sounds like that's what's happening in your group. I hope it improves.

Sounds like everything else is going well for you. Woohoo! And when do we get to read "King and Country?"

Post a Comment